Use of hiking sticks/poles

Michael Crooijmans

scoutmaster127

Great question. The answer is yes and no. Are you hiking or backpacking? How heavy is your pack? What will the weather be like? Do you have a "trick" knee? What is the terrain like? Will you want one or two? Will you need a hand available for a dog leash or a camera? There are definite advantages to using one or two sticks. They are NOT just for the old or weak! Using them at a younger age could save a lot of stress on knees and your back so it's easier when you are older. Andrew Skurka has good info on this topic. The bottom line is that you have to try them out to see of they work for you. 

Edited by scoutmaster127

I like to use one or two poles in the mountains, but not for the flats. They help mitigate knee injuries, especially on steep, rocky descents, and help share the weight of your body and pack on the ascents with your arms and shoulders. Very helpful for stream crossings.

Try cheap used ski poles to see how you like them. I get my adjustable poles for $10-15 at the REI Garage Sales.

• 3 weeks later...

Judging from your picture Michael, you probably intend to hike around to compensate all the people that you have done &@?!#% things to by disbursing your lottery winnings.  You will need hiking poles to beat sense into your well-meaning but idiotic brother, not to mention fend off your scheming and ferocious ex-wife.  Get ones with sharp tips.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎24‎:‎12‎, Aaron said:

I've never been a regular trekking pole user as I prefer to keep my hands free, but I do plan to work them into my hikes more regularly moving forward. Picked up a minor but nagging injury to my knee somehow on a trip over the summer...not sure if using trekking poles would have prevented that, but now that it's there they do really seem to help on climbs and descents. Plus I can use them to setup my shelters, so that's a plus.

Hands free to do what?

3 hours ago, HappyHour said:

Judging from your picture Michael, you probably intend to hike around to compensate all the people that you have done &@?!#% things to by disbursing your lottery winnings.  You will need hiking poles to beat sense into your well-meaning but idiotic brother, not to mention fend off your scheming and ferocious ex-wife.  Get ones with sharp tips.

???????????????

I was thinking this was a site about backpacking/hiking.  Guess I need to pay better attention!

15 hours ago, Gary M said:

I guess my problem is that I really don't watch TV, except for sports that is.  GO KU JAYHAWKS!!!! 

Gary, I know it's off topic but...GO ROYALS!!  

2 hours ago, HikerJen said:

Gary, I know it's off topic but...GO ROYALS!!  

HikerJen

Thanks for the thought.  Unfortunately, I grew up and spent most of my life in St. Louis; so I am not a Royals guy.  I'm a loyal Cardinal fan.  Imagine my humiliation, being beat in the playoffs by the CHICAGO CUBS!

The pain will live on for years!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
On November 11, 2015 at 7:00:48 PM, 805gregg said:

Hands free to do what?

Just whatever really...or nothing even - I just prefer hiking with with my hands freely at my sides, holding on to my shoulder straps, or maybe in my pockets on those long easy stretches. On a recent hike I had planned to take my poles but ended up forgetting them and it was nice to carry my camera in hand through those scenic sections. When I do bring them along however straps definitely do make tasks easier and it remains a love hate relationship. :D

• Like 1