Use of hiking sticks/poles

Michael Crooijmans

Just to add to the rambling nature of this thread, did it bother anybody else that the elderly stars of "A Walk In the Woods" had trekking poles strapped to the outsides of their packs the entire movie and never used them? Real AT hikers were constantly walking through the scenes and most of them were using their trekking poles. I would heartily endorse the use of trekking poles to 79 yr old Robert Redford and 74 yr old Nick Nolte. Jeremiah Johnson was probably killed by Indians before he was old enough to need them.

• Like 2

I think it's a lot less about "needing" to use trekking poles and more about realizing they are good for all ages and levels of physical wellness.

• 2 months later...

Have been hiking for 45 years. Used to think ultralight ridiculous until it was time to change or stop hiking. Used to think poles were a fad, until, after 6 spine surgeries , I can't backpack without them. In fact, I'm a quadraped by necessity, and so dependent on 2 poles, especially on uneven ground or when descending, that I carry a spare . Hiking above tree line I would be stuck with only one pole. Just a few years ago, on the JMT, had to help an older hiker who developed a stress fracture in his leg, after leaving his poles at a water stop, and thinking he could go on without them. I am totally sold on hiking poles, cheap or expensive, homemade or hightech. My spare is collapsible, carbon fiber, weighs about 5 oz, but my regular poles are much more substantial.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
NorcalBowhunter

I always use two hiking poles even if it's just a short day hike. When used properly they help you carry the weight of your pack and work your upper body out and help burn more calories.

Mine are just some cheap Mountain Smith brand poles but I like them. Also not sure if it has been said but get some with a foam or cork handle. Unless you use gloves, rubber and hard plastic will just give you nasty blisters.

Edited by NorcalBowhunter

• 2 months later...

Get the poles, I prefer adjustable. Everybody has given great why advice. Why let your arms get a few ride when They could be doing their part?  

Once I was in a gale force windstorm and lashed then together inside my tent to make a truss, it save me, get poles.