Z Lite Pad

ADKinLA

So I am starting to build up my camping gear and I am a lazy, lazy man. I don't feel like blowing up a mat to stick underneath my sleeping bag so I am looking at the Therm-a-rest Zlite pad. I have seen a lot of people toting this pad around on the trail but does it actually, you know, make you think you aren't sleeping on rocks and hard ground? Does it supply any padding at all? If not, are there any pads that you do like? Let me know, thanks!

I use the military style sleeping pad. Like this one: http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=6707&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Products-_-SF-_-V1&cvsfa=1007&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=32323232342d36303734

I used it years ago in the military. It can take a beating and hold up to just about anything. It is light weight, does not get holes and deflate, is inexpensive and no hassle to set up. Just roll it out on anything, including snow and rocks. I dont need a ground cloth under it so it becomes my ground cloth when sleeping under the stars.

So I am starting to build up my camping gear and I am a lazy, lazy man. I don't feel like blowing up a mat to stick underneath my sleeping bag so I am looking at the Therm-a-rest Zlite pad. I have seen a lot of people toting this pad around on the trail but does it actually, you know, make you think you aren't sleeping on rocks and hard ground? Does it supply any padding at all? If not, are there any pads that you do like? Let me know, thanks!

I have used my Z-Lite exclusively since last year and I can tell you it is not comfortable if you're a side sleeper. Site selection is key when using the Z-Lite. Here's what I do to enhance the comfort of the pad, I basically lay down on the Z-Lite on a potential spot where it looks flat and even...I then get the "feel" for the ground to see if I can be comfortable. This is my first step before even setting up my shelter system.

Using the system above prior to setting up my shelter for the night has increased and enhanced the comfort of the pad for sure.

Hope that helps...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've used the Z Lite quite a bit as well throughout its various incarnations over the years and due to the egg-crate design, I have found it to be quite a bit more comfortable than other foam pads on the market. The new Z Lite Sol adds the aluminized reflective coating with more warmth at the same weight...But I would agree that the padding isn't quite adequate if you're a side-sleeper. The accordion design does make packing and unpacking fast and easy though!

• 2 weeks later...

My son has a short ZLite, and I have considered using it on some of my trips, but so far, I have been to afraid to actually do it...I have tried using it a time or 2 here at home in my yard, and I don't recall any real excitement... :) Although, I do love the fact that it can be such a rigid "frame support" in my frameless packs, so the multiuse aspect is very tempting...

OTOH, he loves that thing...he has used it on wooden shelter floors and been fine...and heck, sometimes I wake up to find him not even on the pad...oh to be young again... :)

So far, I am gung-ho about my air pads...and more specifically, my NeoAir. I absolutely love that thing and would not trade it for anything (especially now that they are no longer making the originals). I agree with you, blowing it up can be a drag, but the comfort that it provides is so worth it...

I will admit, I recently picked up a Klymit Static V pad to try, but the Neo has set a high standard for me...

Anyway...as Aaron stated, the egg crate design does seem to be more comfy than other ccf pads that I have "tried out" before...although I have read a lot of people prefer the RidgeRest over the ZLite...

• 4 weeks later...

I have used my Z-Lite exclusively since last year and I can tell you it is not comfortable if you're a side sleeper.

I completely agree with this one. If you select a site well and are a back sleeper, the Z-lite is "probably" OK. I tried it for a week in the backyard and my hips (I am a side sleeper) hurt on the 2nd night and from then on. I am using the Klymit Inertia pad.

• 3 weeks later...
CarolinaTrecker

I would suggest a self-inflating pad. I use a Therm-a-Rest military STD pad and I have had good experiences with it. I just open up the pad a little while before I go to bed and let it inflate and by the time I get to bed its ready to go.