Sleeping bag spray on DWR

ajreynolds

My Kelty Cosmic Down 20 doesn't come with DWR from the factory, but it does have the hydrophobic DriDown.  Should I add a spray on DWR, such as ReviveX Durable Waterproofing?  Or is that going to mess up my bag?  Thanks.

I would suggest leaving the bag as is. The DWR spray will restrict the breathability of the fabric somewhat, so if the down does get some moisture it will be slower to dry. With the hydrophobic down you should be good to go.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It would be a waste.  Repeated stuffing in a sack and just using the bag will wear out the DWR in no time at all.  Dri Down doesn't cover all the bases but it helps a little.  Even with treated down you still need to be vigilant about keeping your bag pretty dry in conditions where you might not be able to dry it out easily.  If dew or condensation is a problem in an open tarp or under the stars then a light bivy cover is a better choice.  If you feel like you have to treat the bag fabric, I'd just go cheap and use a department store silicone spray as needed (but I wouldn't do that myself anyway).   Breathable for a sleeping bag isn't much of a problem until you're in extended subfreezing temperatures where moisture buildup that you can't dry out can become a real issue.