Bottles or a bladder for drinking water?

Aconcagua

I have just begun to go on day hikes and I'm still at the stage where I have to stop, take off my pack and open it to get at a water bottle. I could see how this process might keep me from drinking as frequently as I should so I'm considering a pack change.

Do you prefer to drink from bottles or from a bladder/tube arrangement? What have been the pros/cons for you? Thanks.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I hate stopping to unpack anything and as far as hydration goes I usually take both - a Platypus Hoser in my pack and a bottle in a reachable side pocket of my pack. For me the hydration reservoir is great as you can sip on the fly without any hassle at all...I used to use only bottles, but I find that I'm much better off at the end of the day with my current approach. 

• Like 1

+1 on what Aaron said - the bladder is most convenient while walking, bottles are better for breaks and camp and collecting water from springs.  Take both and use both - the weight penalty is trivial.

• Like 1

I agree with both Aaron and Happy - take both.  I use the bladder while hiking, and I use the bottle for breaks.  And, I use the botte for my Nuun tablets - easier to clean out.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the bladders.  Reminds me too much of sucking on a pacifier.  But I can get at my water bottles without taking off my pack.  Gives me an excuse to stop every half and hour or so, take stock, drink, and enjoy the scenery. 

Then again, I hike with my wife, so YMMV

• Like 1

I drink from a bladder and hose while hiking. If the hike will be over about 12 miles I take a sports drink to go with lunch. When backpacking I carry a bottle in addition to the bladder.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Several ways to avoid removing your backpack to drink.

With my goto ULA CDT backpacks they come with bungees and D-rings that fasten water bottles like a Gatorade, Vitamin water, ring cap bottle, etc  to one or both shoulder straps.

I like that:

1) frees up side volume in my main backpack compartment or in side pockets that might be used to hold water ie: it's "found" extra volume, carrying H20 that I'm drinking in transit to a campsite on my shoulder straps was one of the final determining factors that allowed me to translate into the lower volume ULA CDT from a slightly higher volume when I did it

2) puts the water where it's more easily reachable while not contorting my body to get at a water bottle compared to it being stored in a side pocket, I'm more prone to better balance and keeping my eyes forward looking at the trail ahead of me when accessing drinking water on the move, bladder bite tubes attached to the frontal area(shoulder strap, neck area, etc) have this same advantage compared to water bottles being holstered in side pockets  

3) less risks of leakage into my main compartment with a bladder system or from a side pocket area all areas exposing gear to wetness, if my shoulder harnessed bottle leaks  or I spill some H20 my shirt/jacket gets wet...usually not a big deal and actually welcomed most of the time     

4) better balances the entire load, now the heavier main compartment of the pack is partially offset with wt on your front side

5) less expense, wt, and complexity  than a bladder system, Gatorade or Vitamin water bottles are usually free or a usable/reusable by product, easy to repair IF something was to break/malfunction

6) flexible  system that can be an easily DIY adapted and retrofitted to many style backpack shoulder harnesses

I use bottles myself. I've mastered the trick of using one hand to get the water bottle in and out of the holster and drink while hiking. No need to stop for me.  I find it is less futzing vs a bladder and more durable.

No right answer. But i find this works best for me and my style.

There is no one best way. Two one liter Platypus bladders work best for me at this time. Other hikers prefer other brands. Many prefer various types of bottles. I like to hear about how other hikers manage their systems. Sometimes I try something I read about and it works.