Mammoth Cave National Park

J-Squared

No, we ended up changing things up completely and doing a loop in Grayson Highlands in Virginia.  It was a little more challenging than I was wanting to do with a newbie but she did great!  Our first night was about as miserable a backpack as I've had, with torrential rains followed by a pretty cold night.  It was hard to even find a place to camp because everything was flooded!  We had to deal with some minor hypothermia but all survived to tell the tale.  Fortunately, the weather improved and we had an enjoyable hike after that.  Our new hiker loved it and is planning on joining us for a AT section hike this fall.

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2016 at 10:13 PM, J-Squared said:

No, we ended up changing things up completely and doing a loop in Grayson Highlands in Virginia.  It was a little more challenging than I was wanting to do with a newbie but she did great!  Our first night was about as miserable a backpack as I've had, with torrential rains followed by a pretty cold night.  It was hard to even find a place to camp because everything was flooded!  We had to deal with some minor hypothermia but all survived to tell the tale.  Fortunately, the weather improved and we had an enjoyable hike after that.  Our new hiker loved it and is planning on joining us for a AT section hike this fall.

I'm very late in replying, but First Creek trail in Mammoth Cave NP has some really cool rock caves to pitch a tent in and camp.  There are plenty of trails that have backwoods camping spots that are ideal for an overnight camping trip.