Day pack Question

mi77915

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I am in the market for a new day pack (my old,old one has seen better days - it's an "off-brand"). I have narrowed my search to a pack size of around 20 to 25 liters. This size is primarily what I've been using over the past few years and seem to work great for me (mainly day hikes). I don't live close to outdoor specific stores, like REI to go and try them out for fit and feel, so I will have to rely on mail order. The packs that I am considering are the Osprey Talon 22 and Deuter ACT Trail 24. I realize that the Osprey is a panel loading pack and the Deuter is a top loading pack. As far as torso length, both these packs will fit me (I measured my length at 19").

Do any of you have any experience with either of these (2) pack? Any comments/suggestions?

Thank you,

Tom 

I love the Osprey Talon 22! I was in the market for a new Day pack as well. The Talon was def my first choice until I discovered the Osprey Mutant 28, which is a light mountaineering / ice climbing / Day Pack. I ended up going with the Mutant mainly because this winter I will be getting into some light day mountaineering, so it was a perfect pack for me. The Talon however is an Amazing pack if your just looking for a DayPack. Ended up getting my wife the female version of the Talon, which is the Tempest 20. She Loves it! We have both had multiple Osprey Packs & really love their stuff. Great quality & a great company!

I recently did a quick Video Review of the Osprey Mutant 28 if you wanna check it out!

Here is a link to the review & my Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQkCjltCook

Darwin

I will add that Osprey has great customer service should your pack have any issues after purchase. I had a pocket tear and Osprey repaired it for free with virtually no questions asked.

After trying on (7) different packs at REI ( I bit-the-bullet and drove 72 miles to the nearest location), and with the help from their knowledgeable staff, I finally purchased a CamelBak Pursuit 24 LR. The Talon 22 came in a close second. But, when it came down to comfort and fit, the CamelBak won. 

Tom

Edited by mi77915

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've been extremely happy with the Gossamer Gear Type II utility pack.  26 liters, durable and versatile. It is always in my vehicle.

http://gossamergear.com/type-2-utility-backpack.html#product-tabs

I've always liked the look of the Type II, do you know if a Nalgene works easily with the side pockets? Any idea if it's longer-torso friendly? I use the REI Flash 22 now and it's great, but if I'm using the hipbelt I have to run the shoulder straps at max length. Works, but not perfect.

The Gatorade type bottles I use come and in and out pretty easily.

Not sure about the longer torso (I am on the shorter side myself), but I believe this gentleman has a longer torso and really likes the pack as well:

http://bedrockandparadox.com/2015/07/31/the-gossamer-gear-type-2-daypack/

Note he says bottles come in and out pretty easily.

Edited by PaulMags

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks, sounds like the bottles should be fine. (I've had a couple packs where it's been a struggle) Will have to keep an eye out for a sale!

inov-8 SS14 Race Elite 24

I've used this for all kinds of stuff, mostly run-commuting.  Its fantastic.  Its not big on compartments - just two zipped bottle compartments in the front, and its a rucksack design.  But its the best I've ever had, and it weighs just a little more than the air inside.

Edited by Dave
font too big

Any pack from a name brand will be fine just watch the weight, my multiday pack a Six Moons Design Fusion 65 ltr. can carry 55 lbs. and only weighs 39 oz.