Camera?

orclwzrd

My Panasonic Lumix TS3 magically disappeared out of my checked luggage on the way home from Jamaica. I'm now in the market for a replacement. Do you have any wise or otherwise thoughts on a replacement? Just wondering what's the current crop of kayaking / backpacking proof cameras are like. I've looked at some online reviews already. I'm not in the market for a really cool DSLR.

Looking for what really works for you. 

John

• Like 1

My Panasonic Lumix TS3 magically disappeared out of my checked luggage on the way home from Jamaica. I'm now in the market for a replacement. Do you have any wise or otherwise thoughts on a replacement? Just wondering what's the current crop of kayaking / backpacking proof cameras are like. I've looked at some online reviews already. I'm not in the market for a really cool DSLR.

Looking for what really works for you. 

John

orclwzrd................

I suggest you first read the TrailGroove review on the Canon G7X

It's a really nice camera, I bought one after reading this review and have been really pleased with the results.  I probably would not suggest this for kayaking, or if so you would have to get some sort of waterproof case.  

Otherwise, it's a fine camera, reasonably priced and you can go full automatic to full manual at the touch of a dial.  I'm still just an amateur, but I get good results with the G7X, a big improvement from my older Sony point and shoot.

Two examples from last week, double click on the photos to get a better view:

Kill_Creek_Truman_001.thumb.JPG.2dd98c26

Kill Creek, Kansas

Hillsdale_Truman_009.thumb.JPG.6bc3d6ff0

Hillsdale, Kansas

Gary M

I don't see where this camera has an impact or waterproof/water resistant rating. Those two things are critical to me. I does however look like an excellent camera.

john

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've (knock on wood) had great success with normal cameras in the backcountry and am actually fairly rough on them - I never use any type of padded bags and have found that most cameras are really built pretty tough to begin with. For water I keep the camera in something water-resistant and use a heavy duty Ziploc as a backup. Kayaking though would most likely be a different story. (Never took a camera the few times I've been) Although, I have used cheap waterproof cases like this for compact cameras on the few occasions when the camera could likely end up in water:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IAXVMG

Olympus and Panasonic seem to offer compact point and shoots with water and shock resistance built in as well that seem quite popular. (Apparently like yours) Is there something else you were looking for vs. replacing it with the same / an updated model?

When paddling my kayak, the camera usually is laying in the puddle in my spray skirt and clipped to my PFD. When backpacking it's hanging from that little ring on my shoulder strap. Both places are ready for use. I was just testing the waters to see what kind of robust cameras are used by others.

I have used the Olympus TG-2 camera--it is rated to be waterproof and able to survive a fall from 6 feet onto a hard surface (I have never tested this!).  Here's a link to the latest version (TG-4):  http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-4.html

It takes very nice photos, and can go totally manual, or totally automatic.  Here's a link to some pictures I took with it earlier this year (I tend to use it on full auto, as I think the results are extremely good): https://picasaweb.google.com/102393818060897668441/GoldDustPk072615

I'm a big fan of the camera! (you can also add a telephoto--I purchased one, but haven't yet used it)

Edited by John B

My go to camera is a Nikon AW 100, waterproof to 33' drop proof to 4', dust proof, freeze proof, plus GPS, a great all around camera, 16mp, with 1080 video, does it all and fits in your pocket, the newer AW130 is even better

I have found that you miss a lot of shots if your camera is not readily available.  Storing it inside a water proof box slows you down and sometimes makes too much noise when unclasping which contribute to missed wildlife shots.  I keep my favorite non-waterproof point and shoot camera in a 5"x4" Aloksak in a breast pocket.  The Aloksak was developed by the Navy Seals and can best be thought as a Zip-Lock bag minus the slider.  They are certified to a depth of 200 feet.  After a 3-4 years I do find that the bags get pin holes and might not seal tight if the closure system gets kinked.  I feel comfortable using them for a brief dunking.