If you use trekking poles, do you ever use gloves while using them?

Aconcagua

If you use trekking poles, do you use gloves while using them?

The reason I ask is that I now have tried trekking poles with grips made of foam, plastic and cork. With all three I still get sweaty hands on strenuous hikes. I have worn mechanics' gloves and they work OK, but they get pretty warm and swampy by the end of the day.

I was thinking about wearing some fingerless cycling gloves or fingerless workout gloves made from wetsuit material? Does anyone here have any experience with this set-up or anything else where using trekking poles? Thanks.

I use the lightweight poly/wool gloves for temperatures ranging from upper 20's to lower 40's and don't have sweaty problems.  As my hands start to warm up I roll the glove cuffs up higher and higher until I take my thumb out completely then it isn't long until the gloves come off.

I should be more clear about the wearing of gloves...

Not for warmth, but to help with sweaty hands on strenuous hikes...

I don't wear gloves with mine until it gets cold, but my hands don't sweat so much that the cork can't handle it.  You might check out some of the minimalist mountain biking unpadded gloves like the 661 Raji or Specialized Lowdown.  I use them (both) for summer mountain biking and their palms are thinner than what you'll see in the usual mechanic's/utility gloves.  The Raji may be more comfortable with poles.  Both are pretty durable syn material.  Some good, thin kidd goatskin gardening gloves might be a good choice, too...they're super soft and actually dry out fairly quickly.  I haven't seen them in person, but Outdoor Research also has some thin sun protection gloves that people seem to love using with poles.  Most cycling gloves are going to have seams, padding, or both that might be a nuisance with poles, especially short-finger versions, but the two I mentioned would be worth a look (and Fox may have something as well).  Also, if you aren't already using your poles with a loose grip when conditions permit, that's a great way to give your palms a little more air and less rubbing, provided you're using your straps as intended to take most of the load. Harder to do on rough or narrow trails, though. 

• Like 1

I don't wear gloves unless it is close to freezing in temperature (as been mentioned). When I started using trekking poles a few years ago, I started out with inexpensive poles with rubber grips, I considered trying finger less gloves because I was getting blisters. 

Since then, I have invested in trekking poles with grips made of cork. With these grips, I no longer get blisters. I'm not sure if it is because of the different materials, or the slight difference in the grip design.

Wool liner gloves in cooler to cold temps. With shell mittens in cold or wet conditions.

Naturally, while skiing, I use my poles with the above essentially.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, almost always wearing a pair of Mountain Hardware liner gloves. Because of the cool climate I generally hike in.

I only wear gloves with my trekking poles if it's cold or raining.. If it's cold I just wear a pair of stretchy gloves from Walgreens; if it's wet I use a pair of Mountain Hardware running gloves.