REI closed Black Friday

Gary M

REI (my favorite outfitter) announced that they will close all of it's stores on Black Friday.  They are encouraging their employees to go outdoors on that day instead.

This is a bold move and will cost REI some sales, but the thought is a good one.  People will just have to shop around their schedule.  I'm sure they will have lots of "Black Friday Week" specials.  

I never fight the crowds anyway on Black Friday, and just work in my office.

Gary M

They're getting a lot of press for this and I think it's awesome. While I don't think it will start a trend for the mainstream stores I sure hope it does for those that sell to the outdoor crowd.

The wife and I will be spending Black Friday in our usual way: Somewhere out in the backcountry! :)

Our Thanksgiving view at Capitol Reef NP last year.

15308422773_f6e79022ab.jpg

Edited by PaulMags

Oh I think its Great that they are doing this. Black Friday is wayyy over rated. Who wants all of that chaos when a good hike in the woods can be chosen instead?

I think this is great and wish I could show my support by hiking that day!  Unfortunately, I'll be working but as a paramedic, I have one of those professions that can't take holidays and special days off.  I understand that Black Friday is a hugely important retail day for many businesses and I honestly don't have an issue with having a holiday shopping "kick off" day.  I think it's cool though that an outdoor oriented company is putting their philosophy over their sales.

• Like 1

Your job is actually important! :)   Two of my cousins are nurses, my close friend I've known since childhood  in also  a nurse, his wife  and my youngest brother was a paramedic himself (works in a lab now and may soon be full time national guard in the medical division on base.) so I totally get it.      Selling crap though? Meh..not-so-much. 

The best deals are AFTER Christmas anyway!!!! :D

Edited by PaulMags
  • Like 1

I'm a medic too J-Squared and ill be working that day as well..LOL. I had rather be hiking though. Gotta do what we gotta do.

I'd rather be hiking too Yirkl but I have to say, my EMS schedule does give me a lot of PTO.  Not the best paying job but does have the perks of being outside frequently and time to travel.  :-)

• Like 1