Suggestions for comfortable Hiking Boots for to work in?

kiwig623

Sort of desperately seeking advice here!

I have a pair of hiking boots that I have worn for almost 4-5 years, and I have loved them to death. Wore them all summer for a research internship where all I was going up and down steep hills on rocky areas and they were as comfortable as ever. Flash forward 2 months, start a new job at a bird sanctuary where I'm on my feet standing, walking, or squatting all day long and all of a sudden my feet HURT. On the one foot, my pinky toe actually hurts (like nerve tingling) to put weight on and push off of after I take the shoes off. I'm trying some new inserts this upcoming week, but I also realize these boots, as dearly as I have loved them, are admittedly starting to get rather worn from summer after summer of serious use.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good, COMFORTABLE boots to look into! I'm outside on not very well maintained paths regularly and waterproof is a must for them, so all things considered I'd really love to get another pair of hiking boots rather than a standard work boot. Or even if anyone has any idea why my shoes are suddenly so uncomfortable and has suggestions as to whether I just need wider shoes this go around it would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

Thank you!

My go to boots are the HiTec Altitudes. Not expensive (~$75), comfy, durable and, with a good dose of snoseal, weather resistant. 

I use them for slushy days around town, the occasional shoulder season day hike in mud or slush seasons and for trail work.

I've been using a pair of Altitudes of one sort another since 2001 or 2002 (maybe earlier?)

Great, ahem ha ha,  minds think alike. I will work at job sites in HiTec Altitudes as well in the Landscape Architecture, Horticultural, and Landscape installation industries . No way will any one pr of boots last that many yrs with what I do to them at work though. I'll get one slop season out of them the Northeast, maybe two yrs in dry climates if I could let my biz like work appearance fall off at Nursery and field growing plant sites. I have  an image to live up to. Besides, wearing those fresh new set of booties keeps the social and economic climbers in the croos always striving to work harder so they too can afford those $70-80 luxury boots I sometimes wear away from the desk . Some on the croos actually tell me my boots look too good and ask, "how can I afford such pricey boots?"  Then, I tell them they only cost $70-80. Now, let's get these palm trees in at the right depth this time. Lunch break is over. No smoking that on the jobsite Juan. No, I don't care if you did it in the Port O Jon. Last time I'm telling you.   Miguel, Benito, and Javier you're with me on the front end loader.:P       

• 2 months later...

If your boots are that old, they could just be worn out, and if you loved them for so long, I would recommend replacing them with the same kind. That being said, I would definitely also recommend buying them from somewhere with a satisfaction guaranteed return policy, such as REI, Scheels, etc. That way, if you try them out for a while and they don't work out you can return them and try again. My personal favorite for an extremely comfortable boot is the Vasque Breeze 2.0, although it does fit a higher arch, more narrow foot, so if you have a wider foot, I would maybe look at something like the KEEN Targhee. 

I agree with Korey, your boots are old but if you've loved them for that long I would try to replace that style and brand first. My girlfriend just went to get new running shoes and the well educated people at Luke's locker told there that even the best running shoe soles and insoles will break down relatively quickly in comparison to causal shoes. I would have to think that's the problem with your boots. 

As for brands goes, I have a wide foot and so far Keens are the only thing I can wear comfortably. I put in some miles in the Tetons last year with the Koven but I also have the targhee along with keen hunting boots. They just feel like they are made for me. 

As far as waterproofing, if you get leather try out the Obenauf's heavy duty LP. I started using it for my leather snake boots after extended time in the black land bogs. Obenauf works great and keeps any leather moist and water resistant. 

Edited by Dave_B