Best hiking boots

_nick

I'm looking for a pair of good hiking boots that can be used on normal day wear/hikes and snow. Is there such thing or do I just buy normal water proof boots and a pair of snow boots?

I got a pair of Extreme Sport Arctic Muck boots a couple of years ago and love them!  They are knee high, insulated, and waterproof.  I use them year round whenever there is a chance of wet feet.  They are great in snow.  Because they are insulated, most people will find them too warm in the summer.  They have really thick soles that keep one's feet warmer(I also use the warmer packets) when standing in the snow for long periods - which I do when oil painting outside in the winter. 

My own experience is that regular uninsulated hiking boots are comfortable down to temperatures of about 10 degrees. If it is much colder I find the rubber sole of the hiking boot starts to transmit too much of the cold to my feet so for lower temps I will switch to an insulated boot.

When I am actually walking and hiking, my feet stay warm in regular hiking boots.  But when I stop to paint for 3-4 hours and am standing still, my feet freeze!!  I like the Muck boots because they are insulated and knee high to keep out snow.  And absolutely waterproof.  The last pair of $250 hiking boots I owned were very comfy but had to be waterproofed all the time(despite being "waterproof") and after two years the bottom sole peeled off.  I can't remember exactly how much the Muck boots cost - maybe, $175 - and so far they are holding up very well.  I have low top hiking boots I wear when it is dry.  I can wade through creeks in the Muck boots and keep my feet dry.  I really HATE wet feet!  :)  They aren't for everyone but I have really enjoyed them.