Honey Creek Loop/Big South Fork KY/TN

wspscott

I was given permission to take a 2 night trip since there was no kids soccer and my mother-in-law was coming to visit. Since I did not have a lot of time, I decided to revisit Big South Fork and see some new places. The Honey Creek Loop had been on my radar for a while and I decided that starting at Leatherwood Ford and heading south would work. I was also curious to see the new trail that extended the John Muir Trail south of the O&W bridge.

A pic from the Honey Creek overlook

2015-10-03%2B14.39.02.jpg

more pics here http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2015/11/a-bunch-of-wetness.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the blog.  Nice waterfall pics!  I'd like to figure out a multi day hike in this area.  I've done a little reading on it but haven't really mapped out any hikes.

On 11/26/2015, 5:27:13, J-Squared said:

I enjoyed the blog.  Nice waterfall pics!  I'd like to figure out a multi day hike in this area.  I've done a little reading on it but haven't really mapped out any hikes.

A couple years ago I headed north from Leatherwood ford (up the JMT) to the Big Island crossing/ford then south back to Leatherwood ford. It was a nice couple of days, but the east side of the river was pretty trashed, lots of beer cans on the side of the trail. I think that horse people were drinking and riding and tossing their empties out the window. I can find more details about that trip if you are interested.

I have my eye on a loop that would include the Kentucky Trail and some of the Sheltowee trace, would be about 50 miles. 

I was thinking about doing at least part of Sheltowee Trace.  The 50 mile loop would be interesting.  I'd like to figure out something in the KY/TN area for this coming spring.  I'll definitely have to do a little more research on what is available.  I have a couple guide books but they mostly show short trails.  I'm seriously considering Mammoth Cave but am open to other possibilities.  I'm very much in the "just starting to think about it" stage of planning!

A pretty good book is "100 Trails of Big South Fork" by Russ Manning. It was most recently revised in 2005, so it is getting a little outdated, but I haven't noticed any real problems with the descriptions. That book and the Nat Geo map have served me well on the couple of trips I have managed to do there. Either by itself is not enough, but they make a good combo.

I just looked at that book and the loop I mentioned above starts at Yahoo Falls and takes the Sheltowee Trace south, crosses the river at Yamacraw bridge. At that point, you can continue on the Trace or head south on the Kentucky trail to No Business Creek. Either way you go, you can connect to the other trail pretty easily and then head back north.

never done any hiking at Mammoth Cave, so I can't help you there :) I have read that the ticks can be horrible, so an early spring trip would probably be better than a summer trip.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I will look into the book.  A loop trail would work best since I'll probably be traveling with one vehicle.  Years ago I lived in Owensboro and did quite a bit of day hiking in Kentucky so I understand the tick problem.  Even in the spring they can be awful.  I did a spring hike on the AHT (southern IN) a couple of years ago and the ticks were unbelievable.  I have found that a combination of permethrin for clothing and deet for skin works fairly well.  I know a lot of people are anti chemical but I think it's better than Lyme disease or West Nile.  

Great book advised for the BSF and Picket SP areas! Highly rec the Sheltowee Trace Tr through not only these areas but the whole trail. This is yet great another greatly interesting largely undiscovered  trail through Kentucky. Both of the ST routes through BSF are wonderful both having excellent attributes to recommend them. I've done two SOBO thru-hikes  of the ST taking the two different routes near the end  for comparisons sake enjoying them both. On both 360 mile ST thrus( I added some miles) I never saw one other thru-hiker in Aug-Sept one yr and in Oct-Nov another yr.