Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles: Rubber or Cork Grips?

Aconcagua

I have heard good things about these poles and the price is right for CF poles... I can't decide on which type of pole grips to purchase? My experience is that cork is more comfortable but far less durable. Does anyone have any experience with the Mountain Tech Trekking Poles? Thanks much!

Foam/Rubber grips:
http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-p/1010.htm

Cork grips:
http://www.cascademountaintech.com/Quick-Lock-Trekking-Poles-with-Cork-Grip-p/glcgtp.htm

I'm a believer in cork grips in summer conditions (when I don't wear gloves).  I find rubber tends to give me blister issues.  As an aside, I have yet to have a set of trekking poles last me long enough that durability became an issue.  I tend to be hard on them, and break or wear them out in 2-3 seasons.

12 hours ago, toejam said:

Are these the same poles they sell at Big 5 sporting goods stores?

I'm not sure.  They do sell them at some Costcos though...

You probably can't go wrong with those. You could spend $190 on a swanky pair of Black Diamond poles, but these would be almost as good. I always like cork grips if I can get them. Can't imagine that cork would wear out faster than the other. The only wear I've had on grips was from the teeth of marmots.

I had some really expensive and feather-light Gossamer Gear poles. After one broke I bought the cheapest poles available at the local Big 5. The grips started sliding down the shaft on my first hike with them (OOCQ). I put a screw in each to hold them in place and been using them for the last 3 years.

I didn't pursue it - they didn't have any in stock at the time and it was my fault. I should replace it but my cheapos are doing o.k. I share Aaron's love/hate relationship with my poles, and it's easier to be hateful to the cheap ones.

• Like 1