Who Is Getting Out This Weekend- Sept 8-9

ADKinLA

I myself am planning to get back to the Arroyo Seco now that the wildfires have calmed a bit here in SoCal. I really like the area (although its limited hiking due to PREVIOUS wildfires). Where are y'all getting out to?

Well, I was kinda flummoxed this weekend as the trails I wanted to hike were restricted due to previous wildfires. Did anyone else get out and about?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

We headed out to the northeast side of the Winds and took a look at Lake Louise - We'd been through the area before but since the lake is at the end of an out and back side trail we'd never made it there before. Just a quick day hike, but between the heat and the terrain it ended up being a pretty good workout with some awesome views. Luckily no fires in the immediate area, but lingering smoke from the Alpine Lake fire was definitely around.

We headed up the Velma Lakes Loop on the Bayview Trail by Emerald Bay/Lake Tahoe and hiked about 13 miles in a loop through Desolation Wilderness. Steep beginning. We saw several lakes as we wound our way through the wilderness. Lake Fontanillis was spectacular. Trip report and photos to follow soon.

i went up to mount bierstadt and did the sawtooth traverse to mount evans and west evans, and then finished off by decending the ridge of mount spalding since i was easier than the gulley that runs between the sawtooth and mount spalding. 11 miles and 4k+ feet of elevation gain, some class three scrambling, and great weather. i then spent Sunday relaxing and climbing at the gym a bit

Nice reports, I am jealous I didn't visit somewhere so picturesque! Aaron, I looked up Lake Louise on Google images, all I can say is WOW! Amazing!

TollerMom, can't wait for your trip report!

Tmountainnut: I also did a Google image search on your trip, looks like a great hike and views!