New Year Resolution??

Gary M

Anyone with a TrailGroove type New Years Resolution??

Perhaps a trail never attempted, a mountain never climbed!

Gary M

Smithville Lake October 2015 025.JPG

I resolve to day hike to Thousand Island Lakes from Agnew Meadows (in Mammoth).  

It's 15 miles RT via the River Trail. I would much rather push thru 15 miles in a day than hump a 35 pound backpack overnight.. 

I also have a trip planned to see Glacier National Park this summer with my girlfriends.  We booked our flights today.

Dream it, plan it, do it!  Happy New Year 2016.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, TollerMom said:

It's 15 miles RT via the River Trail. I would much rather push thru 15 miles in a day than hump a 35 pound backpack overnight.. 

I also have a trip planned to see Glacier National Park this summer with my girlfriends.  We booked our flights today.

Dream it, plan it, do it!  Happy New Year 2016.

image.jpeg

Very nice!

My first goal, which is the same as 2014 and 2015, is to do 10 nights backpacking. Second is to go off trail for my first time and random backpack. I am already scouting out a few spots in Banff National Park to do this.

Happy New Year to everyone too! 

not much of a resolution person, but I totally agree with TollerMom (dream it, plan it, do it!).  My list for this year (which I am sure will grow as I am retiring 2/1/16):

1. Canadian Rockies (skoki valley and mt assiniboine so far in our planning)

2. Wind River mountains/Freemont peak (had to cancel this last September, so definitely doing it this year)

3. start climbing more bi-centennial peaks in Colorado (bi-centennials are the 200 highest; have already done all the 14teeners and centennials, now working on this list. Essentially, it's peaks between 13,500 and 13,800 feet in elevation)

On the "hope to" list:

1. return to Yosemite--been six times but most recent trip was 2005--way too long ago!

2. possible trip to Isle Royale National Park in conjunction with attending my nephews wedding in Minneapolis this September.

22 hours ago, TollerMom said:

It's 15 miles RT via the River Trail. I would much rather push thru 15 miles in a day than hump a 35 pound backpack overnight...

I hear you on the dayhike.  If you haven't already seen them, Ediza, Iceberg, and Cecile Lakes in the same area are IMHO more scenic, and you can do a loop from Agnew to Devil's Postpile and take the shuttle back.  I think it's closer to 20 miles, but you'd be fine.

As for my own stuff, I'm mostly looking at doing some long traverses for speed in the Cascades and Sierra -- type II fun.  It would be nice to do some Real Mountaineering this season, but that can be hard to arrange.

Edited by seano
Add stuff.
  • Like 1

No big goals, just spend more time/nights outside. My kids are getting bigger, so they are starting to hit the ages where I can sleep outside and they can join me :)

19 hours ago, balzaccom said:

Time.  All I need is more time.  My new year's resolution is to make time.  Honest.

Exactly. About 10 more weekends during the summer would be perfect. ;)