PCT or West Roadie

Pete_smith14

Pete_smith14

So I'm currently a freshman in college with a good amount of experience backpacking in the Grand Canyon, Canadian Rockies, and the Minnesota boundary waters, and am looking to take a development year or two after graduating; half for myself and half for study. I'm looking at a window of about 6 months that I'll have time to backpack over the warm months and am having a difficult time deciding between doing the pct or taking a road trip all over the west and up to Alaska.

PCT: 

pros: easier to work out permits and timing/logistics, sense of continuity, obviously the beautiful surroundings, sense of accomplishment from personally hiking so far

cons: no flexibility, some stretches of less interesting terrain, stretches in urban areas, feeling never more than a day from civilization.

roadie:

pros: seeing most of the country, getting to see the awesomeness of Alaska, variety, flexibility, the option to take prolonged hikes where you're extremely isolated

cons: LOTS of time in the car, possibly more expensive from gas/car maintence?, more complicated in permitting/scheduling.

what do you guys think? 

My wife and I drove to Alaska (from FL) when we finished grad school. That was 10 years ago and we still talk about that trip. You will definitely be spending money on gas, but you can do the trip cheap between camping and hostels.

If you are looking for a social experience, you will have to hunt it out if you drive. With that said, everyone up north is really nice. A truck driver offered us pot, a couple in Anchorage offered to let us sleep/shower at their house, in the middle of nowhere Alaska we slept in a "renovated" schoolbus vs pitch our tent in the rain, ...

Other than Denali, permits are either easy or not needed.

Ultimately, the decision will come down to "do I want to hike for 2500 miles?" or "do I want to drive for 6000 miles?" Driving would probably be more fun if you could find the right person to share the trip with you (or even part of the trip).

let me know if you want more info

• 2 months later...

I had an outdoor career and worked one job in SE Alaska in what is now Misty Fjords. I have been up north on more than 10 trips. There is no place like it except for the northern parts of BC, Alberta and the Yukon.

The PCT is now taking on a sort of urban feel to me, with all of the through hikers, with the same equipment and the same outlook.  It is a 30 minute drive from my house. 

I would strongly suggest a trip north. but do not be in a hurry. Take time to get off the main roads. Meet the local people. 

As an example, I was driving north in the Yukon on the main highway which was gravel. I saw smoke from a campfire and pulled over to meet an Athabascan family smoking salmon on racks over a slow fire getting ready for winter.  We had some tea and they were very happy to answer my questions about subsistence living.

The North is the real deal, with more wildlife than you can imagine. Outside of a few places like Los Anchorage, the people are shaped a lot by where they live. The only downside is your life will be forever changed and you may change careers and where you want to live.

Ppine

I took a road trip with a friend of mine in 1969 after our freshman year in college. We bought a 1957 Chevy for $175 and drove to California from the East Coast. We spent the summer chasing girls and surfing. A couple of years later I moved West and never looked back.

I still talk with my friend. I mentioned to him that I still thing about our trip.  He said "I think about it every day."

Edited by ppine