Backpacking at 16

Survival101

Hello everyone! I have a question that I want some advice on. My friend and I are planning on hiking the long trail alone next summer. We will both be 16 years old by the time we finish. We both are very experienced outdoors men and I am an eagle scout. We have done lots of backpacking trips and hiked 50+ mountains before. But we have never done a trip for more than a 1 night alone without any adults. My friends parents are behind us doing this trip but mine are a bit un easy about it. We are not the typical 16 year olds and have both been to national youth leadership training. If some people could give some input on this and give me some information on why we should be allowed to do this trip. Some information that would help my parents feel better about this would be greatly appreciated.

I can't really give you advice about this, because I don't know you and I don't know your parents.  But I can tell you that I first backpacked when I was 12, with my 16 year-old sister and her friend.    And that by the time I was a senior in High School, I was doing 50 miles trips into the High Sierra with just a single friend. 

But a lot depends on which trail, what time of year, etc.  The AT has more interpersonal interactions on the trail than the PCT, for example, because more of the AT goes through populated areas.  If I were a parent of a 16 year old, I would worry a lot more about those interpersonal interactions (I trust you, I'm not sure I trust the rest of the world) than dangers in the wild. 

But if your parents are really concerned about your health and safety, they should drive you to the trailhead.  Driving a car on a highway n the US is FAR more dangerous than any backpacking trip...

Here's a link to a section on the website my wife and I put together on dangers on the trail...and off it.

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/general-information/dangers-on-the-trail

My backpacking trip was when I and a friend were 13.  We had a week long trip in Davy Crockett National Forest so I can understand a bit of where you are coming from.  I would suggest asking your folks what they would need from you to feel comfortable with the trip.  If it is a check in twice a day for their peace of mind, for example, agree to it.   It might be inconvenient to you, but getting them to sign off on the trip is the important thing. 

I will take you at your word that you have the skills and common sense necessary to take such a trip. Understand though, that parental instincts don't always follow a logical path.  I speak from experienced from this, as well; I have a daughter around your age .  It might be a good idea to have your friend's parents talk to them, as well, as they have signed off on the trip. 

Statistically speaking, you are safer doing this trip than you are going to the movies in a car with your parents.  This has been mentioned in a post above and I agree with it.  However, parental protective feelings generally do not tend to take these things into consideration.  My best suggestion is prove to them your responsibility and skill level and work from there.

Good luck with your trip.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above posters. If you have experience, and some judgement you should be ready by age 16.

My parents did some convincing for us when we were kids. We had a plan to spend a week on an island in Chesapeake Bay when we were 12.  Some of the other kids' parents were reluctant. We did the trip for two years in a row. We started backpacking without adults soon after. 

The world is a different place now, but it is not that different.

First of all, congratulations on your Eagle accomplishment.  I know that's a lot of work and you should be very proud. And NYLT training - awesome!  Those are going to open lots of doors for you.  

Having said all that, your maturity level might play a large part in your parents approval, as will being prepared.  I suggest that you come up with a trip plan, and backup plans for things like bad weather.  Plan everything out to the last detail - the cost of permits, food and mailing food for food drops, stove fuel, and do your homework on the trail you want to hike.  Make sure that you are up to date on CPR and Wilderness First Aid training, too.  If you approach your parents with a well thought out plan, they may be more receptive to your trip.  Good luck!

• Like 1