Sleeping Bag Recommendation (backpacking)

MrActuary

I've used the REI Sub-kilo sleeping bag for years and while I have no issues with the warmth, weight, and compressibility, as I get older, I require a more roomier, comfortable arrangement. Weight/compressibility and hip/feet/shoulder width seem to be inversely proportional but can anyone suggest a bag that's a very good balance between the opposing benefits? Something a bit wider (especially in the hips) than the REI Sub-kilo even if it's a few ounces heavier?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have an Alpinlite from Western Mountaineering that's a wider 20 degree bag, athough it appears that the most difference is in the shoulders vs. your Sub Kilo:

http://www.campsaver.com/alpinlite-20-sleeping-bag

...From the specs I see on the REI bag the WM would still offer a bit more room through the hips though. My go to bag however is a Zpacks hoodless sleeping bag. I use the wide width which I find to be a perfect balance for me, but they offer regular and extra wide bags as well. Our review: 

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue13.html?autoflip=75

The Nemo bag that @aguerra.1993 mentioned / their Nocturne lineup does look potentially interesting as well.

• 3 weeks later...
TacticalUnderpant

I have a Rab Ascent 700 rated to 10 degrees. Awesome bag. I find it to be nice and roomy. I never feel constrained or restricted. It packs down nicely for a synthetic down bag, and man does it keep me warm! I have had it to minus 5 with base layers on and been roasty toasty. Only complaint is that the zipper is a bit fiddly. Rab bags are pricey, bu if you catch a sale somewhere they can be very reasonable

I personally love my Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. It's the best of both worlds between a sleeping bag and a quilt. I am a side/stomach sleeper and so normal mummy bags are difficult for me since I often wake up to them trying to smother me in the middle of the night. It also has a foot vent that you can kick your feet out of on really warm nights.

Joe from NorCal
On 1/19/2016 at 2:10 PM, toejam said:

I have a couple of friends who like the Montbell Down Hugger bags. They look nice but my Sub Kilo will last a few more years.

I love my Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #3. I've had it for three years now and it's my favorite piece of kit. Not a true 30 degree bag but I supplement with clothing if necessary. The bag has a lot of give which is great for an active sleeper like me. I use it primarily in the Sierras. I believe the #3 has been replaced by the #2, a warmer bag that can be used over a wider range of conditions than my bag.

My wife's bag is a Western Mountaineering Megalite 30 degree bag. It has oversized dimensions so when I go snow camping, I put my Montbell inside it. Another really good option if you want more room.

Edited by Joe from NorCal

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have a Megalite as well and use it in the same capacity...due to the extra space it works great when doubling up on bags during the winter, or as a bag for warmer conditions with some room.