Winter Backpacking - An Introduction and How to

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Spring arrives and the typical backpacker becomes excited. Wildflowers start blooming, the hills are starting to green and the birds are singing their songs. Summer? The days are long, the weather is often mild and the high country is free of much, or all, the snow. And fall is often nature’s three-season grand finale before winter arrives. The leaves are blazing with color and a crisp feel is in the air. But winter? Winter seems to be the forgotten backpacking season for many. The cold and the snow means the gear is put away. A person is more likely to binge watch Edgy Ironic Cool Show on Netflix than to go outside. Which is a shame. Winter is not a time to slumber. It is a time to see the natural world in a different way, embrace new challenges and explore a new type of beauty. It is a time to embrace the wonder of winter...

@PaulMags with tips, techniques, considerations, and even a few reflections on all that is winter backpacking. Check out the article in Issue 26:

Winter Backpacking - A 4th Season Delight

How to go Backpacking in Winter - Introduction

Issue 26 Page 1

• Like 1

Outstanding article, Paul.  Clear and concise without a lot of self-regarding bloviation.  You covered pretty much everything an experienced backpacker might want to know about getting out in the winter.  Well done!

Paul,

Very fine article. While I don't do as much winter back packing as I used to (being an old fart at 63), I still like to get in at least one winter overnight each year--mostly in conjunction with mountaineering objectives, but sometimes just to enjoy a different kind of beauty.

johnnythedane

Best article I've seen on winter backpacking in a long, long while. Well thought out, no fluff, and covers the important stuff.  I'll be sharing with buddies who might want to venture into the cold stuff.  Thanks!  John

• 1 month later...

Very good article Paul. I'm hoping to get out for a winter trip in the next few weeks and appreciate the tips in your article.

This article was really useful. I've been going out in the winter for a few years now. After reading some of these tips I made adjustments in my clothing choices and was super comfortable on each trip. Thanks for the article.