Hiking shoes, when to replace?

Chermoni

I've only been avidly hiking since last summer. I pretty much pick a new trail every week and my mom is my hiking partner. I know a lot about running and running shoes and when to replace them but was wondering about hiking shoes. Do you go by feel? Miles? Other? I just want to plan for when I'll need to make my next purchase. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Chermoni said:

I've only been avidly hiking since last summer. I pretty much pick a new trail every week and my mom is my hiking partner. I know a lot about running and running shoes and when to replace them but was wondering about hiking shoes. Do you go by feel? Miles? Other? I just want to plan for when I'll need to make my next purchase. Thank you!

Chermoni...............

First and foremost, welcome to the wonderful world of hiking, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself!

As for hiking shoes, are they really shoes or boots?  If they are shoes or trail shoes, they normally loose their tread more quickly.  Boots usually are more expensive but due to better materials and craftsmanship will last a longer time.  

I go by tread vs how old, how many miles I hike, or how they feel.  Although if a pair of shoes started feeling "worn", I would definately replace them.  Hiking can be difficult and you need quality shoes or boots to handle the more technical trails. To me at least, shoes are the most important gear item, and they must also be comfortable. 

If you had a somewhat new pair and just started on the trail last year, you should be fine.  

I have a pair of keen hiking shoes. Waterproof, low tops. My longest hike so far has been 10 miles and they've been great. Thanks so much for your response! 

1 hour ago, Chermoni said:

I have a pair of keen hiking shoes. Waterproof, low tops. My longest hike so far has been 10 miles and they've been great. Thanks so much for your response! 

I believe Keen makes a real quality product, so you should have a good pair of shoes to use for quite a while.

I've been using Vasque with great results for many years and have gone thru several pair. They are comfortable and last forever.  I currently hike with either my Vasque boots or Vasque low tops depending on where I'm hiking.  Both are less than two years old, so will I'll be using them for quite some time.  

If you like the Keen you may decide to buy another pair next time.

I replace them when they start falling apart. Usually the insides fall apart before the outsides for me, but lately I've had two pair of really comfy Salomon hiking shoes that had the soles wear out after a few hundred miles.

I think it's kind of a no-brainer to know when they need to be replaced, but these days they are built cheap & light and don't last long. So I always buy a new pair before I need them. It can be hard to find shoes that fit really well, so if you try on some shoes and love them you may as well buy them. They may not be around when you really need them.

11 hours ago, toejam said:

I replace them when they start falling apart. Usually the insides fall apart before the outsides for me, but lately I've had two pair of really comfy Salomon hiking shoes that had the soles wear out after a few hundred miles.

I think it's kind of a no-brainer to know when they need to be replaced, but these days they are built cheap & light and don't last long. So I always buy a new pair before I need them. It can be hard to find shoes that fit really well, so if you try on some shoes and love them you may as well buy them. They may not be around when you really need them.

I always like to buy them well before the old pair are worn out.  That way I have time (say a hiking season or so) to slowly break them in.  Today's shoes/boots usually don't require a long break in time, I just do it out of habit from years of experience.

This means I always have at least 2 pairs of  hiking shoes (1 old and 1 new) and 2 pairs of boots (1 old and 1 new). This totally drives my wife crazy.  I then tell her to count how many pairs of shoes she has in the closet!  

Turn about is fair play!

Gary Meyer    

• Like 1