Hey all.

vertical14

Just joined today to ask for and share knowledge. Big trip to Canadian Rockies coming up in July. Looking for insight to Yoho national park.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome! Sounds like a great trip...I've never been but the scenery looks amazing up there.

I have been to Canadian Rockies 7 times in past 20 years, most recently last August.  I'm returning this July, and will be spending some time in the backcountry in two areas--Mt Assiniboine National Park (I know it's not in Yoho, but it's close by). Mt Assiniboine is known as the matterhorn of the canadian rockies (for good reason!), and is not to be missed.  Also going to spend some time in the Skoki valley, which is just east of Lake Louise--this is a new area for me, but it's hard to go wrong with any of the back country areas in the mountain parks between Banff and Jasper.  Just driving the Icefields parkway which connects them is worthy in itself.  Don't limit yourself to just Yoho park.  What time in July are you planning on?  Our tentative timeframe looks like July 20-30.

Feel free to ask me other info, as I know the area pretty well.

• Like 1

Hey John, thanks for the reply. I'm going late July. I plan on visiting 4 of the 5 parks. Doing a heli-hike in Jasper. A couple days in Banff and Kootenay. I have pretty much all my treks planned with the exception of yoho. Just looking for the the most rewarding Day hike. Including views and wildlife. Moderate to difficult. I will be staying in Canmore just outside of Banff. This is my first visit so I'm open for suggestions. What can you tell me about Mt Assiniboine?

What qualifies as "moderate to difficult?"  If you want to get up a peak, both Mount Temple near Lake Louise and Lougheed 2 near Canmore are reasonable and non-technical dayhikes, and the latter has a decent view of Assiniboine.  Getting to the base of Assiniboine is a fairly long walk from the east, or a shorter but less scenic one from logging roads to the southwest.

vertical14,

Mt Assiniboine is totally awesome.  However, the hike in in (16miles?).  So, if you are pushed for time, you should consider taking a copter in--cost is $150 and takes off from Canmore.  Some call this cheating, but if you only get to Canada a few times, you need to make your time count.  I would google Mt Assiniboine Natl park, and you should be able to track down a lot of info.  If you decide to do it, the copter is through Assiniboine lodge.

I would echo Seano's comment on Mount Temple.  I have climbed it before, and it cannot be beat.  You do need to be in a larger group due to grizzly issues, and do it in a dayhike.  Vertical is 5600 but it's an easy climb (class 2 I think?).

Perfect.  That's exactly what I'm looking for. Been through grizzly territory before in Glacier. We are a large group. 7 of us. I'm looking for some incline. But don't want to spend the entire day above the tree line.  We don't mind a scramble or just a tough up and down.  We're trail runners. 

As far as mt Assiniboine goes, are you saying it's 16 miles in? Are we looking at an overnight if we don't heli in? If so, is that allowed or designated camp grounds? Sorry again for my ignorance.  Different rules seem to apply In Canada parks than some of the US parks I've visited. 

Thank you both for the insight.  This is by far the most info I've received yet. And I've been researching for months. 

Edited by vertical14
Misspell

Vertical 14,

It's actually either 17 or 18 miles in to Assiniboine depending on which route you pick.  I can't speak to the hikes in, as last time I was there I coptered in, and will be doing that again this July.  However, you can camp at several possible intermediary spots.  I would highly recommend a guidebook to the Canadian Rockies: "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies" by Cathy and Craig Copeland.  Here's a link to used at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Waste-Your-Canadian-Rockies/dp/0968941974/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454249661&sr=1-4&keywords=don%27t+waste+your+time+in+the+canadian+rockies  I probably own 8-10 guidebooks to the area from my many trips there, but this is by far the one I use the most.  Worth the investment!

Thanks again John.

I just ordered this book and plan to follow the rest of your advice. And will look into Seano's tips as well. I'll be there July 23- August?  Maybe I'll see ya there over a cold beverage.