Trying to decide on a tent

Reflex

@Reflex with a double wall tent such as the Dash, the inner material 15 denier nylon is water resistant, not water proof like the rain fly. This keeps water out but also allows your breathe to escape through the material. if this was not allowed it would essentially "rain" in your tent due to condensation. This material will keep water out until something touches it because it is a slightly porous material and the contact from the other side allows for the water to pass through in that spot. With a double wall tent think of the rain fly as completely solid and the inner wall as a two way valve. It holds back the air (water) until something hits that valve (your sleeping bag etc) and allows the air (water) to escape. 

Tents with a full coverage rain fly do not have this issue. 

Lots of ways. Condensation from your breath. Leaky seams, small tears and holes caused by pulling the tent really taut. Abrasion with from the ground, trees, kids, Bigfoot, fishing gear, odd accidents, rodents (don't ever underestimate the power of a squirrel working it's way into the pantry, scrapes made while rolling the tent back up, stuff inside the tent, ditto outside the tent, wind blowing rain through the vents, and worst of all, design flaws. 

There are a few ways to ensure against these things. Make sure the seams are sealed well. Double check. Try it out at home by spraying it down with a hose for a long time. Make certain the rain fly really blocks rain from the direction it is raining. Use a vestibule for books and other gear. As a last resort you can always ... stay home! ;-)

Reflex, so I can help you more with specific things to help your walking in the green world. Please tell me you approximate part of the country.

Thanks,

Dr. B

• 2 weeks later...

Soon your son will be old enough to hike with you. I would buy a 2 person tent.  There are lots of good ones now.