Trying to decide on a tent

Reflex

I am new at buying serious gear and want to go light when backpacking solo. But I will also be doing car camping with my 6 year old. So not sure of to:

Get 1 tent for car camping (like a roomy REI) and another for backpacking?

Or one tent that can do both.....

I was about to choose between:

-Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum which is about 1 lb 15oz 

-Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 which is about 3lb 02 total, roomier.

-6 Moons Lunar Duo Explorer or Outfitter Tarp

Not sure how much lighter can it get with the 6 Moons Tarps?

thoughts?

I have no knowledge of the 6 Moons tent but between the Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum and the Copper Spur UL2 I would recommend the Copper Spur. 

With the Fly Creek tent, you have to crawl in and then turn around to orient yourself properly, and that is tough :wacko: if two people are using it. 

The Copper Spur has dual side entries, making entry and exit easy :). The Copper Spur also has two decent sized vestibules to keep gear for both out of the rain. 

Good luck with choosing a new tent. 

Edited by PaulGS
  • Like 2

Thank you. Well there is a 1 lb difference between both models. Trying to fig out if that 1lbs less is worth the Fly Creek.....?

Edited by Reflex

I'm in the same boat and have been relying on various website comparisons and ratings for my choices.  Thus far the Big Agness Copper Spur UL2 is one that is in my top three choices. So far I'm whittling down to the Hilleberg Anjan 2, the Copper Spur and the MSR Hubba Hubba Nx but I also want to see more about the Hillberg Niak 1.5 when it comes out. 

If I was choosing for a car camping only tent, I would be looking in a whole different category and something allot bigger since weight wouldn't be an issue. Even the coleman instant tent would get my vote if I was pulling up, setting up and entertaining a  six year old all at the same time. 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I would agree that the Copper Spur looks nice, with 2 people using the tent 2 doors and 2 vestibules is the way to go for any extended amount of time/use and much more livable. A bit more space and headroom as well compared to the Fly Creek. I think in your situation @Reflex and if you only plan to backpack solo I might be inclined to get something different, as @Dave_B suggested dedicated for just the car camping and then perhaps a 1 person solution for backpacking trips.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:50 PM, Reflex said:

Not sure how much lighter can it get with the 6 Moons Tarps?

thoughts?

Still talking 2 person shelters here you could get a similar setup as say, the Lunar Duo for about half the weight, twice the price as well, though: 

http://www.zpacks.com/shelters.shtml

My normal tent is a SMD Lunar Solo, which I love since it almost never rains here, it's really light and wads up to the size of a water bottle. I probably wouldn't take my kid out in a SMD tent, but might use a tarp if I thought it wouldn't rain. A Tarptent Double Rainbow would be a better choice.

I'm too cheap to buy BA tents (or Osprey backpacks but they're tempting). I think the best budget tents are Eureka Spitfires & Kelty Salidas. You're probably not the tighwad I am, but just throwing that out there. Don't fear the 1-person tent - you'll be solo more than you think.

8 minutes ago, Reflex said:

Copper Spur prob too small for energetic 6 year old

I don't think the Copper Spur 2 would be too small. The problem with the Lunar Duo is it's a teepee and the kid will be constantly touching the ceiling, which will be messy when you have condensation.

My 2 cents. I have a SMD skyscape trekker and absolutely love it as a solo tent for a great price at 1.5 lbs. That said, i have moved away from it and now use a tarp and bug bivy almost exclusively (ditch the bivy on the winter). Learn to pitch the tarp (i went 9x9) in a multitude of different ways for different conditions and you have a sub 1.5 lb shelter for about 150$ (I also bought a borah gear 5.5 x 9 for dry weekends and a sub one lb setup). I agree with earlier posts that you can get a palatial eureka for car camping and satisfy all of your needs for less money than either of the tents you are looking at. 

Edited by Streue

nathan.smith4x4

I have to agree with Streue. The tarp and bivy set up is absolutely (imo) the best way to go. The versatility you have from using a tarp and bivy is a huge advantage when backpacking around Colorado anyways. It packs down super small and depending on the bivy you could almost ditch the tarp when your just too tired. It really maximizes your miles when backpacking. 

I have not ordered anything from Borah gear and i hope Streue may be able to help because they have the eVENT bivy which i really would like. The website honestly does not look very trustworthy in my opinion. Is it safe to order from borah gear? 

I guess i might just be too suspicious. I think that's the work i'm looking for.