M.K. Goddard Half Marathon

Norb5150

Took a Saturday hike 01-30-2016 along the paved and unpaved portions of the M.K. Goddard State Park trail. It is mostly a very easy multi use trail. All 12.2 miles of the half marathon are paved, but there is a difficult hiking trail off to the south of the paved trail that goes up along the side of it and leads to a recreational center. It is about a mile long. This is the second time I've done this trail almost a year apart. Last year the temps were -17 when I started and -23 when finished with 1 foot or more of snow on ground. It took 9hrs to hike it last year. This year it took 5hrs with two breaks one 30 minute and 1 45minute. There is not a whole lot to view this time of year but it is still a nice place to take a day trip and get off the couch. This Saturday... planning 14 miles on the NCT from Morrain State Park to Jennings Enivornmental Education Center.

20160130_084320 (480x640).jpg

20160130_085918.jpg

20160130_090514.jpg

20160130_102902.jpg

20160130_103117.jpg

20160130_134106.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely looks like a great way to get out for the day. Last year sounds like one cold hike! Thanks for the report and the read - have a great hike on the NCT.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aaron said:

Definitely looks like a great way to get out for the day. Last year sounds like one cold hike! Thanks for the report and the read - have a great hike on the NCT.

Last year was a serious challenge both physical and mental. I did not solo it last year. This year no one was able to go or didn't want too. Hope to have a good time tomorrow on NCT surely will jot down a report of it. And next weeks trip is already in the works as well... Minister Creek In Allegheny (weather dependent may be an overnight).

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Cold offers its own set of challenges and rewards for sure. Look forward to the report! I've briefly backpacked on the NCT, but a couple states over.