organizer bags and bear bag?

Reflex

Hi all,

What ares some budget friendly alternatives for organizer bags and bear bag? 

General rule of thumb, how many organizer bags to I need?

Should all my organizer bags be water proof?

Backpack cover, black trash bag ok?

How do you hang bear bag normally with para cord?

Thanks

I have one dry sack for my clothes and don't really have anything else to organize. I am a hammock camper and my quilt goes into a stuff sack and so does the hammock. I use a plastic grocery bag for my food. I put a trash bag on the inside of the pack to help keep everything dry and just let the backpack get wet.

Google PCT bear bag for hanging ideas. This gives a pretty good description http://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/hanging-a-bear-bag-the-pct-method/

Paracord is overkilll for a bear bag and will have a tendency to get hung up on the tree bark. There are much lighter lines 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

You can use any larger stuff sack for a budget friendly bear bag, waterproof roll tops are nice though...I'm not much of an artist so here's our take on the PCT method:) The DynaGlide line mentioned there works well. However, picked out a couple Ursacks a few years ago, which are nice although they're of course initially more expensive and heavier. My current pack is nearly completely waterproof, but I like 2 layers for critical gear such as my insulation and sleeping gear...trash compactor bags work great as pack liners and / or waterproof stuff sacks like Sea to Summit's Ultra-Sil offering are light and reasonably durable. I've never used an external rain cover. I think I take what amounts to 5 stuff sacks - 1 for my sleeping gear and clothing (waterproof - actually an Exped Schnozzel), 1 for hygiene / first aid / emergency type items (waterproof), 1 each for my tent and tent stakes (not waterproof), and 1 for fishing gear (not waterproof, optional). Throw in some Ziplocs as you feel appropriate and where needed!

Thank you. Not sure I understand why you use stuff sacks for tent and sleeping bag which usually come with their own bag?

You place the compactor bag inside the backpack? If yes, how do you make it stay in place? 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I was just including all the stuff sacks I take - original equipment or otherwise. :) I don't ever take the sleeping bag stuff sack though - I just stuff my sleeping bag / pad and clothing all towards the bottom of my pack in something waterproof...takes the shape of the pack...again currently I use an Exped Schnozzel (http://www.rei.com/product/829645/exped-schnozzel-pumpbag) just because this also inflates my sleeping pad, but previously in a trash compactor bag. The compactor bag does go inside the pack, throw your stuff in and twist closed...throw other stuff on top that you're not worried about. My pack is basically rain proof on its own though - on previous less rain resistant packs I've used I have at times added in yet another layer for critical gear (the Sea to Summit dry bags), mostly for peace of mind or to help save space if I need it, but I still would do so now if expecting to take my pack across water or something along those lines. Either way some combination of two waterproof layers is what I shoot for on the important stuff. Hope this helps!

Edited by Aaron