What repellent do you bring for light backpacking?

Reflex

TacticalUnderpant

I've got an inside tip for you. Coconut oil. I would say it is not quite as effective as DEET, but it is very good. I have only been bitten by ferocious mosquitoes in the yukon while using coconut oil. But even DEET couldn't totally repel those guys. Coconut oil has become the only repellant I use. Much better for your skin, much nicer to use, and it will not drive away the ladies. I certainly do not need DEET's help in repelling women. So I say coconut oil. 

What I do depends on the degree of biting insect pressure expected, what I'm attempting to prevent biting me, what the risks of disease of the biting insects are in the region I'm outdoors, how long I'm out for and during what general times active, and how often I'm willing to reapply a repellent(Read on about what I consider a repellent). Rarely do I take a single repellent approach or define repelling insects only by slathering on a lotion, spray, chemical. etc. to my skin, clothing, or gear. If you're seeking a smoking gun single step single repellent approach my comments aren't what you're seeking. Frankly. I know of not one insect repellent that works on all people all the time for all infectious biting insects with 100% repellency for sustained duration with no questions of hazards.  

In  milder and in many heavier pressure cases of flying biting insect pressure( mosquitos, gnats/midges, black flies, ticks) I can get away with a multi layered approach of: 1) natural organic based repellent such as essential oils(clove, Geranium, lemongrass, thyme,rosemary, bergamot, Tea Tree, lemon, lavender, peppermint, cinnamon leaf, vanilla, catnip) in a Almond Oil base. Just a dab in key places goes a long way. Applying to pants and shirt cuffs, top of shoes, etc  are needed for chiggers, ticks, etc 2) slapping one or even two(I'm 210 lbs and 6'4") Don't Bite Me   transdermal patches containing B1 and Aloe to my arse. 3) wearing light colored loose fitting tighter weave pants and LS shirt 4) LOOSE fitting head net 5) Repel Lemon Eucalyptus OIL(careful though , like DEET I've damaged WP membranes,  WP taped seams, some Dyneema fabrics, shoe lace tips, etc  on gear with this. None of these approaches in itself   is a one step one shot smoking gun approach.

NOTE: Invariably, studies comparing insect repellent  efficacy are mysteriously conducted  on a one on one approach basis. When we combine possibly less chemically intensive more natural approaches the cumulative efficacy could very well be GREATER than DEET or Permethrin alone or possibly in combination! Very rarely, do you hear any mention of that possible approach in any of these comparison  studies!         

I start each year by treating all my hiking outer wear with Permithrin. for a skin repellant I choose 100% DEET, but I only use about 3 drops to treat my face, neck and hands. I always wear long pants and long sleeve shirts. I mostly tuck the bottoms of my pant legs in gaiters, partly to keep debris out of my shoes and mostly to keep ticks from crawling up inside. This works for mosquitos and ticks. No repellant will keep deer flies and black flies away from bare skin. When they become a problem the only effective protection is a headnet and gloves.

• Premium Member

Deet works better, at lower concentrations than any other repellent I have tried.  It has been proven safe in literally billions of applications.  When I was a wee lad we used citronella to keep away the mosquitoes that the DDT didn't kill.  It didn't work that well but it brings me back to summers at the beach and I love the smell

I have on occasion also used pineapple weed. Just grab a handful, mash it up a little and smear it on your neck, arms, etc. It's actually been the most effective repellent I've tried, and it really is all natural.

NorcalBowhunter
On 2/8/2016 at 8:33 PM, Aaron said:

I was thinking insect repellent as well but thanks for confirming. :) Back in the day I used to use DEET, which works amazingly well and the smell of OFF! still takes me back to camping by a fire with my Coleman synthetic 0 degree bag and canvas backpack, but concerns over it causing issues with my gear or myself 

I am just curious what kind of problems DEET tends to have with gear.

2 hours ago, NorcalBowhunter said:

I am just curious what kind of problems DEET tends to have with gear.

It's a plasticizer, meaning it can cause damage to rubber, plastic, leather, spandex, elastic etc. I don't believe it adversely affects wool, cotton, or nylon though.

• Like 1

NorcalBowhunter
9 hours ago, Korey said:

It's a plasticizer, meaning it can cause damage to rubber, plastic, leather, spandex, elastic etc. I don't believe it adversely affects wool, cotton, or nylon though.

Makes sense, I wasn't aware of that. I know there is concern about putting it on your skin but alas that is the same with any chemical.

DEET is known to be absorbed transdermally through the skin and enter the bloodstream crossing the blood brain barrier having proven neurological effects. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12270692. It is likely an endocrine system disrupter as well.

DEET has a high potential for misuse in. Many DEET products have higher than 30% concentrations which are not needed in most situations. DEET in concentrations above 40-50% are NOT needed.  Despite this being known still many DEET products contain higher concentrations of DEET some as much as 100% DEET.  100% DEET is certainly not needed. The often observed rationale being applied is - if a little is good more has to be better. The higher the DEET concentration, up to about 40-50%, only extends the duration of which it doesn't need to be reapplied. Above 40-50% DEET concentration shows no significant benefit. Despite this in real world use I regularly observe outdoors people slathering  and re-slathering themselves applying DEET sometimes in 100% concentrations  to skin and then covering up with clothing exposing themselves to absorbing ever greater concentrations into their bloodstreams. Where is the industry and gov't oversight in this regard? 

One of the benefits of DEET the military was surely aware of in choosing DEET is that it doesn't need to be applied as often as some other products. Soldiers should be soldiering not reapplying insect repellents with undue regularity. However, if a civilian outdoor's person is willing to apply a repellent more frequently, perhaps about every 3-4 hrs,  as one might do even with lower concentrations of DEET, one can do the same with mixed  essential oils which have also been proven to be effective insect repellents. 

BTW, have seen DEET damage leather, melt eyeglass frames, damage some adhesives, and soften and dislodge seam seal tapes on tents, WP stuff sacks, and outer wear. I ruined two seam taped high priced WP membranes on  rain jackets with DEET. DEET just like other chemicals can possibly react with other chemicals applied to the skin that haven't been readily studied in combination as to their effects either. Makes some of us say "Hmm, not so quick with the DEET!"

DEET is "reasonably safe" until it's not safe. Where that line is drawn and how "reasonably safe" is being defined is not always so clear. Seems  fear tactic marketing is often utilized to promote DEET usage so it can continue to hold the title of of the most "effective"  "go to" insect repellent. 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-it-true-that-the-deet/

We each must access the risk we are willing to take and balance risk against alternatives. I believe that, for me, three drops of DEET spread on the back of my hands, forehead and neck is less than the risk of disease from ticks and mosquitos. Some areas I hike and maintain trails are very heavy with ticks.

The first time I used DEET a coworker poured his hand full twice and covered his face, forehead, neck and hands. Then he put on a hard hat for a day of work in a swamp. When he took off the hard hat at lunch time his forehead was covered with blisters. He had also melted part of his glasses. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

• Like 1