Which mountain hardware bag ?

NeilStuckey

I have saved for 8 months and finally have enough for a quality sleeping bag. I am leaning towards western mountaineering brand.  I am torn between the Alpine lite, versa light and apache. The 1 lb weight @ 20 degrees is super appealing. However the 10 degree rating at only 1 lb more  is tempting with the versalite.  Then finally the more durable and more water resistant exterior at just over 2 lbs of the appache is making it hard to choose. I live in central Illinois the weather is triple digits in summer and can hit -20 in the winter. I typically have in my pack a pair of polartech lvl1 base layer and lvl2 polartech midweight  baselayer. I wear a outdoor research 550 down vest if I get cold. Finally fjallraven pants and jacket shelll. I can keep warm moving with this but if sitting I need to be near a fire in the coldest parts of winter.  I am thinking the Alpine lite including the clothes mentioned can get me through all but the negatives.  What to you guys recommend between these 3 bags? 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'd check out the sizing on these - I have some experience with the Alpinlite, which is a wider bag, but something like the Apache (or Ultralite that I've tried) is narrower and too narrow for me. I think in the Western Mountaineering lineup the Versalite would probably be spot on sizing wise, in my case. But that will of course vary from person to person. If I were planning to stay warm around 0 degrees however I'd go with something warmer than a 20 degree bag (Alpinlite), and perhaps try to make the Versalite (about the same weight) work from these 3 options...if it will give you room to layer. Or I'd get a couple bags more ideally suited for the conditions at different times of the year and combine them when it gets really cold on winter trips.