Kids activities

Reflex

Hi all,

Been Googling around for ideas on what to do with my 6 year old on next car camping trip.  Of course there are some basics like hiking, swimming, kayak if avail, card games, set up camp, etc....

Just curious on any suggestions you may all have? :)

My kids (7,5,3) will occupy themselves for hours with a couple small buckets (or plastic cups) and a tiny creek. There is something about water, sand and a couple of containers that fascinates/entertains kids.

For car camping, I like it if they entertain themselves. If there is not a creek, then something like bubbles or squirt guns (if you have space, a 5 gallon bucket from home depot will let them fill the guns without bothering you) are a really good choice. A small inflatable beach ball is a good thing as well.

When we started camping with our 3 sons a favorite 'game' was short hikes learning to identify trees and plants along the trail. The first ones they learned were poison ivy and edible berry bushes.

I've met several families on local trails doing Geocaching. The young ones really got excited to find the boxes in the woods.

This activity gets whole families out in the woods together for a treasure hunt.

Find a nice large rock or tree stump and tell the kids they are forbidden to climb it.  That should keep you and them both busy for hours. 

Bring a small pocket knife for whittling.  that should keep the kids busy for hours.  Take along a container of bandaids.  That should keep you busy for hours, too. 

Seriously.  Combine kids with shallow water a few rocks and a couple of sticks that float.  Come back in ten hours.  They'll still be playing there...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 3-4-5 game.  Get 12 sticks (or rocks), split them into groups of 3, 4 and 5.  Taking turns, each player can take one or more or all sticks from a group.  Object is to leave your opponent with the last stick.  This kept my kids occupied for hours.

• Like 1

Kids are generally pretty good at occupying themselves, but having just one makes it harder for you.  I suggest inviting one of your kid's friends, then telling them to be back by dark.