Group backpacking

Reflex

Hi,

This year, Im wanting to go on group backpacking hikes, anywhere from weekend to 7 days+. I wanna do somewhat normal weekend stuff to more active "intrepid" stuff, local to anywhere US .The REI packages look awesome but are pricey. Just curious on where to look for other group trips? Im in Atlanta. I wanna do group stuff to meet other folks and understand how backpacking trips are planned.

Edited by Reflex
  • Like 1

Backpacker Magazine also does trips, but they will be expensive like the REI ones are. Other than that, I would google search hiking or backpacking clubs in your area and see if there are any that plan trips for club members, and try to get involved with those. They will likely be less expensive or even might just stipulate that you have to pay your own way.

• Like 1

search for a meetup group in the area, there has got to be one in Atlanta. Also consider Chattanooga and Knoxville, you don't have to be in the area to find a backpacking group.

You might also check with your local community college, adult school, or city recreation department.  All of those organizations might have a trip or two to offer.

And if you're feeling altruistic, check out the trail crew volunteer trips in some national parks and forests.  No expenses paid, but you get to work on the trails for a week without paying the kinds of fees you would pay REI or Sierra Club.

Both the Sierra Club and the American Hiking Society have volunteer vacation work outings. With AHS the cost isn't much more than the cost of food. As with their group trips the Sierra Club work groups can get expensive. With both you get to build or maintain trails in some interesting places.

• 2 weeks later...

Try a meetup group.  I know there's an active one in the area I live in (Chicagoland).  I've been a member for a few years, but have been too busy with my other backpacking group (Boy Scouts) to go on any of their adventures.  Maybe next year, if things slow down... Good luck!