Group backpacking

Reflex

The traditional way to plan a trip is to read guide books and look at lots of maps. It is only recently that people have turned to social media.  If you want to get away from people, plan your own trip and don't take the hikes that are easily found on line.

45 minutes ago, ppine said:

The traditional way to plan a trip is to read guide books and look at lots of maps. It is only recently that people have turned to social media.  If you want to get away from people, plan your own trip and don't take the hikes that are easily found on line.

The OP specifically mentioned finding groups to backpack with. But I totally agree with you, he could probably grab a couple of friends to start off with? Unless he wants to go with more seasoned backpackers to go with and learn from right off the bat...?

I think backpacking is a personal sport. You spend 24 hours a day with the same people. They are going to see everyone get tired, hungry, thirsty and sometimes scared.  I have never wanted to do that with strangers.  It is much better to get on the phone and go with friends.

I am very protective of the good groups that we have put together for backpacking, canoeing, and rafting trips. The crew is a big part of the enjoyment of these trips.  Just one man's opinion.