Backpack size

Reflex

Hi all,

What backpack size for weekend stuff, 1 week stuff, international backpacking? Im trying to stay on the light side if possible + fit + pockets/functional.

Edited by Reflex

I would say weekends = 35-45 liter, week = 55-65 liter. With that being said, I actually tend to carry a larger pack on my weekend hikes with the thought process that since I will be hiking fewer miles, I can carry more weight and more luxuries like my moccasin slippers, hammock, extra sleeping pad, etc. As far as comfort, the only way to tell is to try them on. REI will let you try them around the store and they have sand bags to add weight. And for pockets, most bags will be laid out pretty similarly, but I always look for hip belt pockets, and I check that the side pockets can comfortably handle a large water bottle (i.e. a Nalgene 32 .oz)

I'll also add that how big of a bag you need depends on your equipment. If you have a nice, higher end tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc., they will likely pack down smaller and require less space than equipment with similar purposes but heavier or bulkier materials.

Edited by Korey
  • Like 1

I use a 45 liter pack, myself, and can go a week with it if I pack pretty light.  One of the pitfalls of a large pack is many (myself included) feel an instinctive need to fill it up completely.  Bigger packs mean more weight you can (and usually do) carry.

• Like 2

check out sectionhiker.com. Phil just posted something about backpack sizes for different activities.

A lot of choosing a backpack is knowing how big your stuff is. In other words, buy your pack last, not first.

1 hour ago, wspscott said:

A lot of choosing a backpack is knowing how big your stuff is. In other words, buy your pack last, not first.

A very good point.  Also, do your research before you buy one.  There are a lot of good brands out there that cost a lot less than the so called top of the line packs that function just as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Coming from the perspective of a traditional backpacker that has shed some weight, 45-55 liters seems reallly puny to me for a week.  I do not like to go for that long with a pack.  I would rather go by boat or pack animal.

• 4 weeks later...
shotgunpapa

not to hijack the post but thank ya'll I was wanting to know what size I should buy this is very helpful thank you.

• Like 1

@shotgunpapa  Hard to say without knowing the gear you take. Generally, buy the pack last once all the gear is assembled.  50-65l seems to work for most depending on gear taken.

shotgunpapa

thanks PaulMags. I carry a Hammock and tarp to sleep in it don't take to much space and is lite. I have been looking at some 55-65 L to day and I think I will go with the 65 have not decided on which Company yet as there is a lot out there. I have  a sleeping bag for summer that packs pretty small & lite I need to get me a stove most other stuff I have. I sure do thank every one on this site I have been doing some reading and most of my questions have been answered that a way so thanks.

Shotgunpapa.