Spring Break

Dlem

I am new to this site and hiking.  My daughter (College age)  and I are whitewater kayakers and have recently fallen in love with hiking after a trip to Arches National Park.  She has offered to cancel her Florida Spring Break trip and hike with me.  I remember what happens on these trips so I am very motivated. 

We are from the Midwest and looking for somewhere that might live up to Arches and not require snow shoes.  I am hoping to get some advice on where to go.  We would like some warmer temps if possible, but not totally necessary.  We would also like to camp and have enough hiking to keep busy for 3-5 days.

Help me keep her out of dirty motel rooms, urine filled pools, and onto some cool trails:)  Thanks in advance for anything anyone can offer. 

What areas are you thinking or more importantly, how far are you able to travel to get to a good place?  You said you were in the Midwest but that is kind of general.

If you are looking for a warmer place and can make the trip, I would suggest Big Bend National Park in Texas.  Nice and warm there year round and you shouldn't need snowshoes.  However, with this winter, you never know!

FYI - My daughter just turned 16 so I can empathize with your situation...I am not looking forward to those years myself.  She's a good kid, as I am sure yours is, but the thought of those not so far in the future years is a bit nerve wracking.

Edited by jay

Don't know where you are and if you want to drive or fly so kind of hard to answer. When is spring break?

I'm partial to the Smokies because they are close to me, weather can be weird in March. Big Bend has always seemed appealing but that would be a really long drive from anywhere in the midwest :)

Maybe consider a different kind of kayak trip. March in FL is awesome, search for kayaking in the Everglades, there are some beautiful beaches with no one around. http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/canoe-and-kayak-trails.htm