convertible pants

Reflex

is it normal to feel the convertible part in your legs? just got some Mountain Gear pants i ordered and wearing them around, the convertible section, I can feel it a bit when I walk.

Perhaps other pants would be looser in that area? :)

You gotta find a good gear store in your area where you can try this stuff before you buy it. When I bought the Prana Zion pants I tried on a stack of others that I didn't like as well. I think my first pair of convertible pants had zippers that bothered me, but they don't bother me on the Pranas and a great old pair of TNF convertibles. Everybody's legs are different, so I think you should try them on to know if you'll like them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

They're not noticeable on the looser fitting pair that I use...as toejam mentioned perhaps a different style or size could be in order if it's bothersome.  :)

NorcalBowhunter

My fiancee has talked me into getting such pants. I haven't done any serious hikes in them but so far I haven't had any problems during our day hikes and it's nice when we start in the morning when it's cold to have pants then easily convert them to shorts when it's hot. We got the REI Sahara brand.

ok....convertible pants?  A must? I assume getting non convertible means bringing extra pair of shorts....?

Edited by Reflex

NorcalBowhunter

I wouldn't say they are a must, I went a long time without them. They are nice though because as you said you don't have to carry shorts to change out.

On my 20-day John Muir Trail hike this summer I carried the convertible Prana Zion pants and Nike running shorts. The running shorts got a lot more use. It was nice to occasionally zip the legs off the Prana's, like in town at Mammoth Lakes or Yosemite Valley. Wouldn't want to hang out at the pizza place in running shorts. Running shorts weigh nothing btw.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I like convertibles. While I prefer hiking in pants just for more protection from the elements I've actually found the zippers on my convertibles to work great for venting (partially open) when it's warm during the day (but still offering the benefits of pants), and then I can seal them back up when it gets chilly. And of course you can just wear them as shorts too...but I'd be pretty happy with non-convertibles as well. 

• Like 1