Richland Creek Wilderness, Ozark National Forest

WanderAR

Had a quick overnight trip into the Richland Creek Wilderness in AR. The constant rain kept me from taking too many pictures but I got a few. This was my first trip into the area and unfortunately the drought had the creek at a very low level in spite of the rain. I'll definitely make plans to explore when the water is up to enjoy the waterfalls. The trails are not marked or maintained so be sure to review maps of the area prior to hiking. Some of the trails just disappear but as long as you continue in the correct direction they tend to pick back up. The photos don't begin to capture the rawness and scale of the area. There are big forces at work shaping this area and I can only imagine the power of this creek when it is floatable. Those kayakers are crazy!

post-225-143508713442_thumb.jpg

post-225-143508713454_thumb.jpg

post-225-14350871346_thumb.jpg

post-225-143508713473_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your photos; looks like it was a great trip! I'd be interested in seeing what the creek looks like normally, when not in a drought. Lots of sharp rocks though... People really kayak here? Seems crazy to me too, but beautiful.

I'll be going back so I'll post more photos if the water is up. We certainly have some crazy kayakers here. One popular river to kayak in Arkansas is the Cossatot. As I am told, Cossatot is an Indian word meaning "skull crusher".

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your photos; looks like it was a great trip! I'd be interested in seeing what the creek looks like normally, when not in a drought. Lots of sharp rocks though... People really kayak here? Seems crazy to me too, but beautiful.

I found a video of some kayaking on this creek. About 3:15 in they do some drops off of twin devil falls with the water up pretty good.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=d_U5Fy7bcII

• Premium Member

Thanks! Such a difference in the water level! It looks like a lot of fun, although I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go off the falls like they did... pretty impressive though.

And they are certainly dedicated kayakers... driving through a blizzard to get there haha.