Hello from Western Mass

Aqueousflow

Hello Forum,

My name is Alex and I am relatively new to hiking. I have a ton of questions, but first a bit about myself. I was honored to serve this wonderful country for 4 years in the USAF. I was medically DQ-ed with Crohn's disease and am now a full time father, husband, employee, and hoping hiker. I started working at Westover Air Reserve Base in 2012 and came across an individual who had hiked the AT. Since then, I have been obsessed. Although, I am currently using a clunky backpack (Military Issued/heavy) for my day hikes I fully intend on buying a pack soon. Any recommendations? My wife gave me one stipulation, I can begin my through hike when my youngest son turns 16 (so 16 years from now). Until then I am relegated to weekend hikes and day hikes (not complaining). New England is home to some of the most scenic and beautiful surroundings I've ever come across. Any and all advice regarding gear, shoes, and locations would greatly be appreciated. Cheers!

Hi Alex. I was in the USN for 6 years and discharged honorably back in '95. I was placed in a house on the Westover Air Base for 6 months while I was training at a facility located in Windsor, CT. I am living in New England (still) and have starting getting more and more into hiking.

Unfortunately I don't have too much time right now for a full post, but I can tell you that I recommend Gregory for backpacks. I have two. One is 45L and the other is 85L. The size will obviously depend on what you're doing, i.e. day vs. overnight hiking, staying in shelter/hut/lean-to or tenting, etc. One strategy would be to buy a large volume backpack that can handle everything to avoid being in a situation where you wished you had a larger backpack. They are more expensive, but if taken care of, you'll never need to buy another one again.

With the exception of winter hiking, I would suggest using trail running shoes, and not hiking boots.

In NH, in particular, there are TONS of awesome day and overnight hikes to do using (or not) the AMC hut network if you want. Staying a hut can be pricey in the summer, but tent platforms a pretty cheap.

https://www.outdoors.org/lodging/huts/

Hope this helps. Cheers!