New Mexico-Williams Peak/Wheeler Lake

cgarza26

Good Afternoon!

My name is Cleo, and Im from Texas...so mountain hiking is very new to me! Going to Taos New Mexico and would love to hike to wheeler lake, then to Williams peak. Very new to snow hiking so if I could have some advice on snow shoes or crampons etc that would be greatly appreciated!!

You mean Wheeler Peak from Williams Lake:

http://www.summitpost.org/williams-lake/160956

You should rent some snow shoes at a local shop and ask them where to find some mountain hikes with good views and little avalanche danger. I haven't climbed Wheeler from Williams Lake, or in the winter, but every Texian hiker should bag Wheeler. I really enjoyed it late summer.

I'd recommend not doing hikes that require crampons until you have a better feel for hiking snowy mountains and someone to show you how to use them. But there's nothing I'd rather do than climb mountains in crampons.

DSC00178.JPG

• Like 1

haha yes! sorry I often type without re-reading what I put-bad habit.

Thank you for your input! Its definitely on my to do list to visit this peak, and still in the process of even looking for a guide.

What other hiking gear would you suggest for snowy mountains? And if you don't mind me asking where this picture was taken at, its a gorgeous view!

1 hour ago, cgarza26 said:

What other hiking gear would you suggest for snowy mountains? And if you don't mind me asking where this picture was taken at, its a gorgeous view!

It depends so much on the conditions. I started snowshoeing wearing the same stuff I'd wear skiing, but with heavy boots and warm socks. If it's warmer and you are working hard, you need lighter layers that breathe well. This picture is the Kautz ice chute on Mt. Rainier in Washington in July. I spent close to $2000 on guide service for this 4-day trip off the crowded route. It was worth every penny.

You don't need a guide to snowshoe, and Taos locals should be able to point you toward some safe & scenic hikes. But guides can get you to amazing places and teach you a lot.