Mt. Washington 1ST Time

travelingpotato

travelingpotato

Hello Northeast!

My friend and I are considering hiking up Mt. Washington this summer (mid June). I hiked up to the half way point when I was about 12 years old with my family (this was over 10 years ago) so I am aware of the general terrain at the bottom half (rocky and steeper the longer the hike goes) However, I wanted some input on the terrain/weather at the top half of the mountain? Does the risk increase significantly once you're above the treeline?

Also, we were thinking of hiking up starting in the early morning and arriving at the top around 12 or 1 pm so we could take the cog railway down the mountain. Most of the websites say it is about a 4 hour hike up. Is this a reasonable time amount for  fairly novice hikers? We are both women with no health conditions and are active.  Is it typical for people to hike up the whole mountain in one day and take the train down? Do we need any legit mountain climbing gear or can it all be done on foot? The Tuckerman's Ravine route appears to be the best route.

Any tips on how to plan the hike and what to pack is appreciated!

Edited by travelingpotato
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your plan seems pretty smart & sound at this point! I have hiked Mt. Washington, and you're pretty spot on. It was July, sunny, and close to 80°F at the base. Near the top it was mid 30°'s and freezing rain. 4 hours +  sounds about right-ish. 

Id recommend hiking sticks, they will help as you hike through the boulder fields. You never know which boulder your hopping to/from will move around. I think it goes without saying to pack a 1st Aid kit. Don't forget the roll of bandage tape so you can tape an   ankle, if needed... 

Have fun & be safe!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About 15 years ago I drove from Michigan just to hike up Mt Washington. I also chose Tuckerman's Ravine route. In the store at the bottom I heard how cold it was at the top. I bought a heavy fleece pullover. About half way up I started telling myself I was going to find a way to ride down. By the time I got to the top I was so warm and sweaty I did not feel the need for more than a light tee shirt. I went inside, ate lunch and rested a bit. Then I started the hike back down. I'm a flat land hiker. I just hiked up and back down with no need for climbing skills.