Camino de Santiago

RenegadePilgrim

RenegadePilgrim

Anyone walk any of the routes? I've done the Camino Frances in 2010, served as a hospitalera in 2011 and leaving next week to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto.

• 4 months later...

Anyone walk any of the routes? I've done the Camino Frances in 2010, served as a hospitalera in 2011 and leaving next week to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto.

Do you have any pics of your hikes.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RenegadePilgrim

I liked what Tapon said about the Camino de Santiago even though it was a rather scathing report. I also like that he didn't hike the main route that most pilgrims take and instead headed north to the Pyrenees along the ocean, his purple lined route. http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks

Not a fan of him and his walk. He was quite rude to many of the people he encountered and I think his whole approach was wrong. That being said, he did it the way he did it. Hopefully others won't follow in his footsteps. I'm heading off to do the Norte/Primitivo at the end of 2015/or early 2016.

• 9 months later...

I liked what Tapon said about the Camino de Santiago even though it was a rather scathing report. I also like that he didn't hike the main route that most pilgrims take and instead headed north to the Pyrenees along the ocean, his purple lined route. http://francistapon.com/Travels/Spain-Trails/10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks

I used this article when I was having students evaluate reliable/unreliable sources. This one was obviously unreliable because it's a statement of opinion, and a not well-educated opinion, at that. It seemed that he was expecting the Camino to be a backwoods hike, and anyone who's done any research at all knows it is definitely not that.

I completed my first Camino this last summer, 2015. I started in Le Puy-en-Velay and ended in Santiago, taking just over two months to hike it, though I did skip a couple large parts and I'd like to go back when I have more time and money to be able to take the time to walk the entire route, maybe even starting in Geneva or Cluny.

What's special about the Camino is the culture, and how generally friendly everyone is whether they're other hikers or hosts at hostels or B&Bs.

• 2 months later...

I've done most of the Camino. It's a wonderful experience, especially for many Americans who tend to be somewhat provincial. You just can't beat the interaction with hikers from around the world, the pastoral vistas, the charming towns, and of course the food and wine.

Just do it.

Yes, it's important to note that the Camino de Santiago is not a classic backpacking trek, but an adventure in culture. Drink the wine, eat the food, meet the people, see the churches, castles, and ruins on the route.

But don't expect the John Muir Trail...

It is wonderful history and culture tour...