Mental training Aconcagua

AlexD

Hello guys :)

My name is Alex and I am new on that forum. In few months, I am gonna climb the Aconcagua in Argentina with a friend. I am following right now an intense physical training to get ready for that, I would like to work more the mental aspect of this hike, however I don't know in which direction I am supposed to go for that. 

Would you have any book, video, podcast suggestion to get more knowledge on the mental preparation please?

I haven't climbed anything like Aconcagua, but I've climbed a bunch of 14ers and I think you are correct in assuming that the mental aspect of climbing is very important. Physical conditioning is more important, but I've seen physically prepared people give up on climbs. I think intense physical training where you set goals you have to will yourself to meet is good mental training. Especially running outdoors, when you can see where you are trying to go and it's a long way away. Long hikes on weekends help a lot. Keep increasing the distance & pace.

I'm wondering what other mountaineering experience you have and if you are climbing with a guide service. From the stories I've heard the biggest challenges are bad weather and altitude.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you get ready for 19,000 feet. The more time you have to acclimate the better your chances. Two weeks at elevation would make a big difference.  I have spent time in Peru and Bolivia and got used to 13,000. A friend is a geologist that was doing gold exploration in Argentina.  He is one  the strongest hikers I know.  He worked really hard to get ready but crapped out just short of 18,000 feet when he saw two Japanese climbers in body bags next to the trail.

All climbers need mental toughness.  Listen to your body.  At some point it is smarter to turn around and not risk death.