(How) do you sleep in the backcountry?

Mcaldwell

I think it is pretty accurate, although it is hard to say because a lot of heat can escape in the open space between the two people lying side by side. You sort of have to be diligent about keeping the quilt pulled down toward the ground between the two people's shoulders. When it gets really cold, I use the little buttonhole "latch" that fastens the top of the outer edge of the quilt to the middle, thus pulling the center top of the quilt downward and closing that air-escape-hatch. However, my husband has yet to deploy his fastener. If he would use his, I think that would stop the warm air from escaping entirely and I would not be cool.

I have a hunch that the biggest thing I could do to make sleeping conditions warmer at 20 degrees or below is to buy a two-person mattress so there would be no cold air channeling down the space between the two mattresses. One thing I have done to mitigate that problem is to use the ZPacks mattress couplers. That made a big difference. However, I think having one continuous mattress will solve the problem completely.

On our last backpacking trip, my husband had to leave unexpectedly to take someone home on the second night, so I stayed with the group, leaving me with the whole quilt to myself . Once I pulled all the extra material close around me to eliminate the vacant space, I got so warm that I had to vent. Of course, it wasn't terribly cold (around 40 degrees), but the quilt was definitely overkill for the conditions.

I also have a ZPacks 10 degree solo bag, but I much prefer the quilt just because it lets me steal warmth from my husband! He sleeps hot, and I sleep cold.

BTW, do you know what year they changed to vertical baffles?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I can seen the space between the pads as being something to consider for sure. I've looked at the newer Synmat Hyperlite Duo from Exped but it would be a bit of a downsize compared to putting the two pads we currently use together. 

I believe ZPacks just recently changed the baffles on their sleeping bags over the last few weeks - I think it should be a nice update since personally, I always shake all the down I can to the top of the bag anyway for warmth and vent if needed by using the zipper or by taking my arms out of the bag, etc. - maybe not a game changer but would be a bit more convenient!

The pads we use now are each 20 inches wide, and the Synmat Hyperlite Duo is 41.3 inches wide at the shoulders but just 32.3 inches wide at the foot, so the shoulder width is comparable to what we have now. I doubt that the narrower foot area on the mat would make any difference because the ZPacks quilt is only 23 inches wide at the bottom of the footbox. What tends to happen with us is that I put my feet on top of my husband's -- once again, to steal his warmth. It's a great arrangement, and I think I will probably order the Synmat Hyperlite Duo pretty soon, especially because one of our Neoairs has developed a slow leak.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That's an interesting point regarding the quilt sizing - my perspective is from using 25" and 20" non-tapered pads put together, although that's with 2 separate bags (and used separately). I usually take my bag with me as I move throughout the night so I like to make use of that extra width, but with the twin quilt I can see how the measurement of the quilt would be the more important spec. Should be a great setup!

• 3 weeks later...
coconutjennyb
On 2016-10-11 at 1:29 AM, Korey said:

As a side/stomach sleeper, I can't say enough about my Sierra Designs backcountry bed.

Which one do you have? And How cold have you slept comfortably in it?

I have the 3 season model (650 fill down, 17 degree EN rating) and I've used it down to about 28 degrees and slept soundly, although that was also using the hot water bottle trick (heat water on a camp stove, dump it in a nalgene, screw it down tight and throw it down by your feet.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
RealestNature

I'm a big fan of hammock camping as well.  It took me a couple nights to figure out how to comfortably lay in it, but since then I love it.  Not needing to bring a tent saves so much space and weight in your pack.  You also don't need to search for the perfect flat ground to set up camp.  Anywhere with trees will work!  I usually string up a tarp over the hammock to provide some rain shelter.  The main downside to hammock camping is that it can get a lot colder than a tent.  You can still make it work though as long as you insulate well!

DSC_0910.jpg?resize=1024,683

Edited by RealestNature

We just got the Exped Synmat Hyperlite Duo and used it for the first time (29 degrees for the low). My husband says it's by far the most comfortable mat he has ever used. (We have 13 different mats now, so that's saying a lot!) The mat was plenty large for two, and, as expected, it eliminated that channel for cold air that always runs between two mats, even when they are tightly strapped together. Here are the other attributes that I consider important: 1) It only weighs 28 ounces (27.41 by my scale), which is less than the weight of two full-length Neoairs; 2) the volume it takes up in my pack is more than just one Neoair, but it is less than if I were carrying two Neoairs; 3) using the Schnozzle pump bag (2.2 oz.), it only takes a few seconds and 1 1/2 bags of air to completely fill one side of the mat, 3) since you are not blowing moisture-laden breath into the mat, the insulation should stay good for longer; 3) you can fill the two sides to different pressures if you want to; 4) the air tubes run lengthwise instead of across your body, which I'm guessing is the reason it is so comfortable; and 5) the R-value is 3.3, which is respectable for winter use (if we're expecting weather that might require more than that, we would take a couple of Ridgerests to put under our mats anyway, no matter which air mat I used).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Great to hear that it sounds like a winner so far. Sounds like a great overall setup and combo with the choice of quilt and pad. Have found the similar r-value Synmat UL7 to be warm to about that temperature or perhaps to very slightly colder but will add a 1/8" foam pad to get down to the mid or lower 20's, or a Ridgrest SOlite if it's really cold. I much prefer the vertical baffles on Exped pads compared to other sleeping pads I've tried with horizontal baffles (No more falling off the side in the middle of the night!) and the Schnozzel is great if you're using a pad with a compatible valve. Thanks for the report!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2016 at 7:49 AM, Mcaldwell said:

It seems (from my experience and many I have talked to) that everything about your next backpacking trip seems glamorous and wonderful, except for bedtime. It seems that no matter the gear or preparation, getting a good nights sleep in the back country is always out of reach. I tend to do the "rotisserie chicken" where I sleep an hour, roll, sleep an hour, roll, etc. 

So how do you all combat this? Do you invest more in your sleeping system, do you spend the week prior to the trip sleeping on your backpacking system, do you take sleep aids, what are the challenges/tricks that others have? I look forward to hearing! 

I sleep more fully, more deeply, unafraid, unworried, and peacefully when I know I'm in the right place doing the right thing at the right time. That means I'm trusting in God.

The 30 miler pill/sleeping aid helps too.  

• Like 1