Looking for insulated rain jacket

Reflex

Hi all,

Been browsing around online....looking for a lightweight, water proof and somewhat insulated rain jacket. Any suggests?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Reflex,

What type of insulation are you after? I use an older (and apparently quite a bit cheaper) version of the Marmot Essence. The Essence has worked out pretty well, and previously I've used the Marmot Precip and other jackets. (Marmot rain jackets have seemed to always fit and work well for me) In rain with minimal layers underneath I've stayed warm while on the move, and then by adding more insulation once in camp before jumping in my sleeping bag.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'd suggest staying with the layering approach for versatility if you can - considering they block the wind and don't really breathe well, rain jackets are pretty warm on their own and with separate layers underneath you can keep things dialed in. For 3 season conditions and while on the move generating heat I haven't needed any additional insualtion and have been warm as long as I'm mostly dry. Throw on the additional layers/insulation safely packed away and dry in your pack when you stop to seal in the heat and before you get chilled.

• Like 2

You are asking for an unusual combination. Most people dress in layers in the outdoors. Nearly all quality rain gea rare shells designed to wear other items under them.