Anyone with a Gregory Baltoro?

JoefromKansas

JoefromKansas

I was really sold on an Osprey Aether but REI suggested that I take a look at the Baltoro. I haven't made it back to REI yet, maybe tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has experience with this pack? I know it's heavy and expensive, but I'm wanting a "one and done" pack.

Thanks!!

Joe 

Will you be using the pack for backpacking, or for carrying loads of ore from a remote mine?  If the latter, then definitely get the Baltoro.  

I had one years ago, but gave it to my nephew. They are lovely packs, but just too heavy. Unless you are carrying 40+ lb loads (and why would you want to do that?) there really is no need for such a heavy, overbuilt pack. 

If you don't want to go with a UL pack from Gossamer or ULA or Zpacks etc, then an Osprey is probably your best bet. 

I think REI salespeople get paid by the poundage of the gear they sell.

Edited by HappyHour
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Baltoro 65 (last years version) and I'm very happy with it. It's the most comfortable pack I've ever used.

But, I often hike/camp with the kids (oldest is 6) and have to carry a lot of their gear as well, so I'm often carrying between 40 - 50 pounds.

As to your comparison, I'm assuming you were looking at an Osprey Aether 60? as it's comparable in size to the Baltoro 65. The 2016 version of the Baltoro actually weighs less than the Aether.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Baltoro, I tried the Osprey packs and they seemed to be comfortable, but I preferred the storage options on the Baltoro. (the angled bottle holder is brilliant!)

• Like 1

JoefromKansas

After much research and review I pulled the trigger last night on the Baltoro 75, I am eager to get out on the trail. I wore it around the store with 40lbs in it and it was quite remarkable on how good it felt. My back and shoulders felt fine and all the weight went to my hips. Something interesting though, when I went to REI and tried on the Osprey, they measured me between a large and medium, but the large felt fine to me. When I tried on the Baltoro, it was the medium that felt better. 

On March 26, 2016 at 7:13 AM, JoefromKansas said:

they measured me between a large and medium

I'm with you there - backpacks, shirts, pants...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
DeWitteWolf
On 3/26/2016 at 7:13 AM, JoefromKansas said:

After much research and review I pulled the trigger last night on the Baltoro 75, I am eager to get out on the trail. I wore it around the store with 40lbs in it and it was quite remarkable on how good it felt. My back and shoulders felt fine and all the weight went to my hips. Something interesting though, when I went to REI and tried on the Osprey, they measured me between a large and medium, but the large felt fine to me. When I tried on the Baltoro, it was the medium that felt better. 

are you still happy with this?..I have been going out on  2 to 3 day hikes here in the LA area with an Eberlestock G4(47ci) and 10.8lbs(it can handle a nuclear bomb hit)..I thought I was fine until I tried my friends Osprey 65 which carried more, for way more then half the weight..So I decided to go more conventional with my gear and just got the Baltoro 75(L)..Still on the fence about spending 24 more bucks for the 85lb one(they are on sale due to being last years model), but overall they should be the same..so once again are you still happy with it?

JoefromKansas

I really glad I bought this pack, it holds a lot and doesn't feel like I have all that weight on my back. It feels excellent, and I love the way it looks, and it is very well made. I don't think you'll regret buying it.