Backpack and tent for photographer?

bluecosmo5050

bluecosmo5050

Hello, I am new in backpacking. However, not new to Landscape photography. I bought 60L hiking bag, which seems big enough but once I put foot, 3L water bladder, and clothes in it, it's pretty much full. I get my camera in there by putting it in a lowepro top loader that goes in the bag or it can harness on my chest, I can only carry one lens. This is all fine but it only has straps on the sides, the tripod weighs my right shoulder down pretty hard, I don't want to counter balance it or it would be way too heavy. I'm looking for a way to put the tripod on the bottom of the bag. Some bags have this, mine doesn't. That way it's weight is even going across. I am open to buying a whole new bag if someone can suggest something. I would like to bring more than one lens if I bought a new bag, it would need to have the tripod either on the back or on the bottom and just use the sides for hiking sticks. I do not have a tent yet, one of the main reasons is because I have no idea how I'm gonna possibly fit a tent in there. I mean I have VERY little in there. I'm not talking a lot of food or clothes. I've got a small mesh lunchbox and that's it, shirt, socks, ear muffs, boggin. I also have a very small messenger bag without the straps connected in which I put my Bible in and notebook. It looks about half full at that point, but once I stick the camera in there with the lowepro top loader, it's completely full. I can't stick the camera in there without it being in the top loader or it'll be going all over the place. I can keep the camera on my chest if I have to though. I'd really like a 2 person tent, although I need it to be light and if it has to be one person that is fine and I can get two of them if someone else goes with me. For people going with me, I give them a small 30L hiking bag and they just carry water. Usually Three 3L bladders.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I use a pack with about the same capacity when you include the outside as well as the interior storage and have quite a bit of room. While it sounds like I don't carry as much camera gear as you I do carry my camera in a chest pack, not for space but just so I can take photos on the fly, and a tripod on the side...but it's pretty light and doesn't affect the pack's balance. How many days of food do you need to take? Perhaps reducing the secondary bags so everything fits together more efficiently would help.

Same as for anyone else. Maybe a photographer needs a little more size and capacity for equipment.

aguerra.1993

Photography and backpacking are tough to make ultralight, haha. I've been trying to solve this myself. I also shoot landscape photography. I have a Deuter Act Lite 65+10 and I can fit my all my gear for a week at a time including food and my camera gear. I just put my camera in the pack without a case, usually in between items so it doesn't get thrown around. And as for the tripod, I strap it to the bottom straps that are for sleeping pads and other large items. I usually only bring my camera, tripod, sometimes an extra lens, sd cards, lens cleaner and little blower thing, and an extra battery. Try to not use many cases or packs within the backpack or it takes up a lot of space inefficiently.