Hello from Ottawa, Canada

les404

Nice meeting you,

I have question. I am thinking of buying an external battery charger/pack for hiking. This battery charger will be used to power smartphones and tablets that we take with us. I am considering two models: Innergie PocketCell Duo and Anker Astro 5600. Have you used these batteries before? If yes, what did you like/didn't like about them?

Based on your experience, what are the most important features for an external battery pack for hiking?

Thanks,

Leon

Hi Leon. I don't own an external battery charger (yet) so I can't help you with that, but welcome to TrailGroove. :)

Do you have any trips planned for this summer?

Edited by PaulGS

Les,

I have a NetZero external charger.  I believe it is supposed to be able to fully charge an IPhone twice.  Frankly, I have never had to use it in the backcountry, as I am not a heavy user of electronic gadgets in the backcountry.  I have a GPS that runs on AA batteries, never had issues in running out of juice with it.  I also carry my cell phone (it's ALWAYS turned off, just for emergencies!).  The cell phone and my steripen can be charged from the NetZero, as it has just a USB port.  Ultimately, I carry the NetZero as an insurance policy.  Don't take tablet into the backcountry.  So, as Paul above, not sure if this helps?

From what I found, you usually need to use an external charger for smartphones and other devices it you trip is over two days.

How long on average are your hiking trips?

Regards,

Leon 

Les,

I will typically be in the back country for 5-7 days.  As I said, my smartphone is off, and don't bring tablet.  The two items that are re-chargeable are the smartphone, and my Steripen.  The Steripen claims to be able to filter 50 liters of water with re-charge.  I have not come close to that amount, nor have I had an issue in it not working (my backup is iodine tablets).