Hello from western NC

JasonByers

Hey guys. I was watching a video from stick today and he mentioned this website so I thought I'd check it out. I looked In for a bit and joined up. Looks like a great magazine and a very nice new forum. I'm from Hayesville NC and I'm lucky enough to live in an area with 100's of miles of trails the AT being one of them. I go out for an overnighter at least once a month but wish I could go more. I have a beautiful little 1 year old girl I'm excited to have as a hiking partner soon but for now she's keeping me close to the house. Anyway guys nice to meet you and if you get a chance check out my YouTube videos under knifemakerjason. I'm not a very good speaker or cameraman but I enjoy posting videos anyway. Have a great day!

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the shout out!

That is cool that you live so close to the trails...I have to travel a few hundred miles to get to them...but it is worth it when I do get to!

And good luck with your daughter hiking...mine tells me that her legs will get tired, she will whine and want me to carry here... :) But she is so cute, it is ok...I know that one day she will be bigger and she will want to come anyway...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Jason, welcome to the site and thanks for the comments! We have a new addition to the crew here as well - Our son is almost 3 months. After several test hikes, Jen & I tried out our first attempt at backpacking while bringing him along and did a 2 night / 25 mile trip in the southern Winds. Definitely a challenge, and our legs were a little more sore than normal after carrying him and the extra gear the entire way, :D but overall it went pretty well!

Wow that is cool that you brought your son on a 2 nighter. My wife has only allowed day hikes for now but next spring we're planning on an overnighter. I'm looking forward to it. She loves the woods so far but we'll see how she likes it when she's walking the trail herself in a few years. Haha.