Drones Ruin the Nature Experience

branchville

branchville

You are hiking that long trail and finally reach the mountain top. The sun has begun to set. You are surrounded by wildlife. Its a magical experience. Then out of nowhere a loud buzzing noise fills the air and a futuristic looking machine hovers over you videoing your every move. Then another drone pops up, and then another. There are now 5 drones in the air. The wildlife runs away. The air is filled with noise pollution and eye sores. And your magical moment of solitude has turned into another youtube video no one cares about. 

What can, if anything, be done to make these drones illegal before its too late. 

Edited by branchville

I have seen a drone only once in the backcountry. It was the US Border Patrol keeping an eye on us for two days while paddling the lower Colorado River in February. 

branchville
On 3/23/2016 at 9:54 AM, ppine said:

I have seen a drone only once in the backcountry. It was the US Border Patrol keeping an eye on us for two days while paddling the lower Colorado River in February. 

The only reason you have not seen them often yet is because personal drones and uav are a new technology. Thousand upon thousands of drones are sold to personal users every month. We are talking about hundreds of thousands new personal drones, this rate is rapidly rising every single year. It is only a matter of time before they become commonplace. Just yesterday there was a story about how a drone was found in the PA game-lands disturbing a Bald Eagle's nest and water foul. 

Do you honestly think when literally hundreds of thousands of new drones are sold every year in the US alone that they wont be seen on the trail on a daily basis? Unless something is done this is going to be your new reality.

But Amazon gives millions of dollars to lobbyists to push for drones, there might be too much money and greed in it to stop at this point. 

Edited by branchville

In remote country there are no drones and no people.  Most of Nevada is like that.  Our greatest resource is space which will become more valued in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
branchville
On 3/24/2016 at 1:46 PM, ppine said:

In remote country there are no drones and no people.  Most of Nevada is like that.  Our greatest resource is space which will become more valued in the future.

What does that have to do with drones flying in the east coast? 

Don't assume that drones will be common place everywhere. 

The OP did not specify any location.

branchville
1 hour ago, ppine said:

Don't assume that drones will be common place everywhere. 

The OP did not specify any location.

I am the OP, and from personal experience while hiking in the woods on the east coast. 

You'll find drones where you find people.  If there are suddenly lots of drones and people there were previously lots of people (and no drones).  I have a hard time imagining how drones will allow more people to delve deeper into the backcountry and ruin remote wildlife filled peaks.

Also how many peaks do you reach that are filled with wildlife? Aside from birds it's a rarity for me, not sure what kind of fantasy land you're hiking in.