Camp/Crossing shoes

WanderAR

I know not everyone believes in carrying the excess weight of a crossing/camp shoe but I really enjoy having something I can throw on for crossings or in camp. Especially in winter so I don't have to hike in wet shoes. I came across some minimalist running shoes on clearance the other day. They are Saucony Hattori's (Product Link: http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?productId=4-106900&skuId=***4********20126-5*M100&catId=cat10004&showDefaultOption=true). Normally I would not have given them a second thought but they were on clearance (probably due to their looks) for under $30. That's less than a pair of Crocs which I have never been a fan of. They are mushy and my feet tend to slide around in them when crossing creeks. Also, the Hattori's came in just under 9oz for the pair, that's actually lighter than my crocs and these are less bulky than Crocs as well. I've only used them once so far but I find them great. They fit snug and have a more substantial sole than Crocs as well. Has anyone had any experience with these? At regular price I could not justify them but if you find them on clearance I highly recommend. Thoughts, opinions?

post-225-143508713485_thumb.jpg

post-225-143508713486_thumb.jpg

I am one that doesn't typically carry camp shoes. For about 9-10 months of the year I am in my trail runners, which make adequate water crossing shoes as well as camp shoes. The other months when I do actually wear boots, I just slip them on with the laces loosened. I know that some will also remove the insoles, but I have never needed to do this. I am not knocking it though, I know that some people do enjoy them, and that is cool too. Those shoes that you linked to though look like a good option, especially for the price. And from the picture, they look like they are easy to actually put on. Is that just a big velcro strap that goes over the top?

I will admit, I am trying something a little different this year. I have some down socks from GooseFeet that I will take with me to wear while sleeping. However, I also decided to pick up a pair of overbooties that Ben also makes which are waterproof and has a Dyneema X bottom so they can be used as camp shoes as well. The combo weighs 3.8 oz, so I don't think that that is too bad, especially since they double as sleep socks, which means I am actually leaving out a pair of socks in my pack. I always carry 1 extra pair of socks in my pack, however, during winter, I carry 2 extra pair so that one pair can be dedicated sleep socks. But now I will only carry the one extra pair and then these down socks. So, I will still be adding in about 1.5 oz extra after the swap, but considering their versatility, I think that it just may be worth it... However, at $110 for the pair, they are a bit more expensive...

I'll see...

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I usually just wear my trail runners as well and use them for everything, but the Hattori looks like a pretty nice option and would be luxurious compared to some of the homemade and lighter camp shoe options I've made use of in the past...

That is a big velcro strap. Once on, they fit like gloves. I'll have to see how they hold up but they seem to be promising so far.

• 3 weeks later...
CarolinaTrecker

If i take camp shoes, I normally use my Vibram 5fingers. They are expensive, (unless found on sale or at an REI garage sale like mine), but I have found that they are pretty versatile and comfy for camp. The only down side for 5fingers though is that they can take a while to dry and do accumulate a pretty heavy foot stank. I normally only take mine on trips that I most likely won't be crossing any water.