Howdy from Bandera Texas

SAT

Seems like a great group of people on this forum so I just wanted to say hi. Even though I'm fairly new to hiking/backpacking I absolutely love being on the trail, I'm hooked! In the rain, cold or the hot Texas sun you will find me hiking the South Central Texas parks with my overweight pack training for one of the triple crown trails (not sure which one yet). Glad I found Trail Groove!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome! Really like that part of the state although unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do much hiking there. Good luck with the training!

Jarrett.Morgan

Not to far from me.  I've been thinking about a trip to the Hill Country State Natural Area.  Any thoughts on it?

• Like 1

Hey Jarrett, Hill Country sna is one of my favorites I guess because its close to home. Take the high trails (5a,b and c) for some great hill country views. If you want to cover the low ground just watch out for the occasional mountain biker and the equestrians. Hill Country is a place where you will find horse and rider around every corner during the busy summer season. There is no potable water so bring plenty or you can filter, boil or treat your own. Unlike Enchanted Rock, Lost Maples, Garner or Government canyon Hill country is usually never jam packed full of people like most other parks and actually if you take 1b you usually wont hardly see anyone way in back. There is pack camping in designated areas and ground fire are not allowed unless in a fire grate in the camping areas. You'll probably see me out there because that's where i am three to four days a week. Hope you have a good trip.

• Like 1