Tent dilemmas again!

Reflex

For solo backpacking, is it worth getting a Nemo 2P at 2.5 lbs and return my new Copper Spur 2 at 3.6 lbs?  (Note, I will NOT get a tarp)

I have been buying all new backpacking gear for the 1st time. My base weight is at lbs right now! :(

Is it worth going a little bigger than the Copper Spur 2 for 2 person backpacking?

I think that decision comes down to cost and size of the tent, not all 2p tents are created the same. If you can lay down in both of them, you may find that there is not a big size difference, or maybe there is.

The 1 pound saved is roughly 1/2 liter of water. That is not that much weight, but all of those ounces and pounds add up pretty quickly. For a first tent, I would not worry about weight and would worry about ease of pitching and size and dollars vs. weight.

Which tarptents are solid? BY the reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab, the Zpacks is too $ and the 6 moons has weather issues.

What do you think of the Tarptent brand? :)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I have experience with the TarpTent Rainshadow 2, Scarp 2, and the Hogback and all have been very solid. TarpTent has a really nice blend of weight, functionality, durability, price...I would start here and it's pretty hard to go wrong really. One thing I really like about them is that their designs seem to be less prone to silnylon sag issues and they don't seem require a lot of re-adjustment after the initial setup. Regarding Six Moon Designs, I've used the Lunar Duo in all types of weather and find that it's a great tent as well.

I have heard nothing but positives regarding TarpTents. My next tent is going to be a Rainshadow 2 with the idea that I can fit myself and two (maybe even three) small kids, then as they get bigger, I can go back to my hammock and leave them in the tent.

I purchased the ProTrail by Tarp Tent last year and it makes a great place to sleep out of the rain and away from the bugs, set up is fairly simple after a few test runs and the weight is amazing. My only issue is that the floor seems a bit on the thinner side. My dog has always shared my tent with me, but that doesn't work with this one. The first time I set up the tent I had him come in and lay down to get a feel for the floor space available and that was all it took for his nail to poke a hole. So now he isn't allowed in that tent. Luckily I have a few other options if the weather is supposed to be bad :) . 

That being said, I'm not sure what your level of experience in backpacking/camping is, but I know when I started out and up until the last year or two I wouldn't have been very happy in anything but a double walled free standing tent. I think it had a lot to do with getting used to feeling "secure" sleeping in the wilderness and it seemed strange to leave things outside of my canopy. I've gotten over it now, but my priorities as a beginner were living space, ease of set up, and then weight. You will also want to consider  the seasons of the year you will be using the tent. If you anticipate using the tent in a lot of rain or snow you're definitely gonna want somewhere you can move around a bit out of the rain.

Specifically to your question, I don't think you can go wrong with the Copper Spur. I had a really hard time choosing between that and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. I ended up with the MSR because I had more faith in the durability of the materials standing up to my dog and inexperienced friends that often borrow my equipment. I'm not sure which Nemo 2P you are looking at, but I'd pay attention to how much living space you will be giving up for that extra pound of weight savings and try to determine if the loss of space is worth the loss in weight. And one more thing, if there isn't the option to just pitch the fly w/out the canopy on the Nemo, stick with the BA. I have used the fast pitch option several times w/ my MSR, and I love it!

Here is my base weight current list, 2nd draft. At 20 lbs! :(

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bQYPfvUrxjSLeRT12nsxOFbntvhFXDFmzwQedtCKUSM/edit?usp=sharing

What about the Tarptent brand? any good?

How big deal no stargazing type of tent....?

How big deal no stargazing type of tent....? Will I miss that?

Going nuts with this. The Copper 2 I bought I can still return. It weighs 3.2.....Set it up once, really nice.

A Tarptent = 2.2 lbs or Nemo Hornet 2  at 2.5lbs but smallish....

Thoughts??

I would use whatever I choose for solo backpacking but also 2 person if I bring girlfiend or son (but this will be once in a blue moon).

On March 22, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Reflex said:

How big deal no stargazing type of tent....?

A friend bought a Tarptent Rainbow for hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in 2013 - he's still using it and it looks great. The two guys I hiked the John Muir Trail with last year each used a Double Rainbow. One of the guys had previously owned two other Tarptents. You're not gonna hear bad things about the Rainbow tents.

When I want to gaze at stars I don't put up the tent - I lay on top of it like a ground cloth (because I don't carry a ground cloth). Cowboy camping is always an option.

• Premium Member

I like simpler tents and one of the things that I don't like about the BA Copper Spur is the complicated framework. I'd rather have a dome tent that uses two straight poles or a pyramid tent that uses one or two poles. I'll use a tarp for extra headroom, where appropriate, but want a tent for high wind or storms. I don't have a problem with single wall tents, but see an advantage to free or semi free standing tents for areas where stakes aren't appropriate. 

• 2 weeks later...

friends,  say I get me a 6 Moons or Tarptent for solo....

is the Copper Spur 2 too small for 2 people in practice? Like, I know 2 people fit, but in practice, do I want something a little bigger?  (I have the Copper 2 but can still return it).....